Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first Timer Questions - Lawn Chairs and Umbrellas

first Timer Questions - Lawn Chairs and Umbrellas

Hi there...this will be our first AirVenture and we're just wondering about what to do with the lawn chairs we plan on bringing for the afternoon airshow. From what I gather, it's a no-no to put your chairs on the lawn early in the morning so what does everyone do with them? Carry them around all day? I can't imagine doing that in the heat and humidity. We were thinking about leaving them in the car and going back for them in time for the show - is that realistic? We plan to be there by 8/8:30am each morning to get a closer parking lot. Also, are beach umbrellas allowed? For the local airshows we attend, we've always put up a beach umbrella by our chairs for shade and it's never been a problem. Is that ok at AirVenture?

You basically carry them around with you or get them from your car in time for the show.

If you arrive by 8 to 8:30, you won't be parking close. I ride the bus from the dorms, catching the 6:30 or 7 AM bus; by the time we get to the grounds, the blue lot (outside the front gate) is pretty full. Not full, but getting there. Others may have suggestions for a better lot.

The only years I watched the airshow was when we had a Baron parked out right on the burn line next to the taxiway (they put the twins closer to the taxiways due to weight). It was a simple matter to just keep the chairs in the plane, but naturally that's somewhat of an extreme solution.

I carry around with me a small folding stool that will fit completely in my backpack. Better than nothing. Can't see carrying around a chair.

Personally, I think you'd be inviting a lot of wrath if you brought a beach umbrella (if you're talking the 6-7' tall, 7' diameter ones).

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

28 trips to OSH, don't think I have ever seen a beach umbrella. And if I remember correctly, staff will pick up unattended chairs.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    28 trips to OSH, don't think I have ever seen a beach umbrella. And if I remember correctly, staff will pick up unattended chairs.

Really?? It's quite common where we're from for people to bring beach umbrellas, sun tents, etc for an afternoon airshow. Do you think it would ok if we brought regular rain umbrellas for some shade?

Banned
    Agreed on the beach umbrella, I have never seen one used on the flightline during the airshow. If you want your first Oshkosh to be a memorable one for all the right reasons, don't bring it to the airshows. However, we've been using small umbrellas with attachments to lawn chairs for years and have never heard a discouraging word. Many use these, so you'll be OK with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Agreed on the beach umbrella, I have never seen one used on the flightline during the airshow. If you want your first Oshkosh to be a memorable one for all the right reasons, don't bring it to the airshows. However, we've been using small umbrellas with attachments to lawn chairs for years and have never heard a discouraging word. Many use these, so you'll be OK with this.
    Fantastic! Thanks Floatsflyer!

People always leave their chairs along the flight line. They have to be laying down and don't get angry if they get moved because staff moves them when a plane has to get out.

A high wing plane makes a great umbrella in the afternoons.

The rules have changed over time. It used to be that unattended chairs weren't permitted period. They were collected and relocated to the shacks on the runway. That changed, now we are told to just fold them over and set them down so they won't blow. You do incur a lot of wrath of people when you stake out stuff on the flight line and then disappear until airshow time.

Note that Friday/Saturday/Sunday, the burn line is moved back to the speaker poles in the main areas. If you put your chairs up on the normal burn line you will NOT be able to get them once the area shuts down for the airshow.

Beach umbrellas no matter how you slice them are ANTISOCIAL and frankly dangerous to the aircraft. Please do NOT bring these.

It's not worth the time to get a seat on the flight line. No matter where you set up your chairs there will *always* be people who stand along the flight line and block your view. I have found that it is far better to wait until the show starts and find a high wing plane to camp out under.