Hello there! I had an idea I wanted to put out for people to discuss. On the back end of an airplane, it's easier to construct the fin and tailplane as single, all-moving surfaces. However, pilots say that airplanes fly better if the tail consists fixed fin and tailplane, with the rudder and elevators constructed as seperate, moving parts.
It occurs to me it would be almost as simple to build as the first case, but incorporate the advantages of the latter, if strong return springs were incorporated into the all-moving surfaces. These springs would tend to return the fin or tailplane back to the approximately straight ahead, neutral flying position. This would give the airplane the same feel and safety to the pilot, with easier construction.
If I were building it, I would make the mounting points for the springs adjustable, which would provide an easy way of setting trim.
If there is some flaw in this scheme I'm overlooking, please correct me. If, on the other hand, my insight turns out posess the inspiration of genious that saves time and effort for homebuilders everywhere, I'd be delighted if people used it. There is no charge but your endless gratitude...
Thanks for taking the time to read this, Charles Meredith Brown, Clearwater, FL.