Thread: Airshow Pilot Lost

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This was at a military field and I am sure they had strong fire fighting equiptment. But there normal operation in case of an accident would not have to take into account the crowd.

We should have known and should now know that the fire truck and maybe ambulance should be on the runway side of the crowd.
    I am not sure if the accident was surviviable of not. It is easy to make guesses instead of evidence.
    If you put a fire truck or a lifting crane too close to the runway then it becomes an obstacle also.

I know at Airventure the fire and rescue guys are in their suits and in front of the crowd right by the warbird tower and ready to go. That is a big deal when it is 95* outside. Maybe some day it might make the difference in getting to an accident in time.
    People fly in airshows because they really want to do it, and if you can make a living from it, all the better. But I think, although any rational person would have to admit that the possibility or even probability of a crash is always there, I think you put it out of your mind. In the end you do what you really want to do, same as a race car driver, etc. If your emotions focused primarily on crashing and the rescue prospects you probably wouldn't fly the act, especially a low one like Eddie's.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 05-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.