Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some suggestions on splitting this sleeve

Some suggestions on splitting this sleeve

Need to split these, made from Peek plastic, bore is 3/4" for size reference.

Obviously splitting them would be easy enough but would like them split with as small a kerf as possible, band saw won't get it. A slitting saw may be a solution but then holding them presents a problem once one side gets cut. They will be turned one piece.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you have access to a milling machine, there are 3 inch dia slitting cutters as thin as .005 inch, & maybe even thinner. You'd have to hold it by the flanges, or with a saddle type fixture on the outside diameter (not the flange OD diameter. It would be best if the fixture concentrated its support closest to the split surface rather than the ends.

Are you making many?

Have some slitting saws but don't recall any that thin, will have to look.
    Only need to make two of these but several other sizes as well. Tried looking to buy but did not find anything.
    Can't quite grasp how it would/could be held in a fixture. This stuff is very rigid which is helpful.
    I've not been able to come up with anything but using a slitting saw and how best to do that is still hidden from me.

Well, do have a 3" x .010 slitting saw which would work fine, now need to come up with a way to hold it so both sides can be cut as evenly parallel as possible, though as long as they remain in matched pairs that should not present any now unusable issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    Well, do have a 3" x .010 slitting saw which would work fine, now need to come up with a way to hold it so both sides can be cut as evenly parallel as possible, though as long as they remain in matched pairs that should not present any now unusable issues.
    When I split bearings like that I typically use the slitting (jewelers) saw method. I will mount them on a spud that has been turned to a close fit, with anything from wax to a dissolveable adhesive. Overhang the spud from a proper vise or 3-jaw, slit away then just pop them off the spud. Or the other option if you want zero gap, is to buy twice as many bearings as you need, then mill off half of each bearing.

Thanks Aaron, that may just be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chips View Post
    I made something similar and to cut it in half, simply clamped the part in a Kurt D 675 vice with the parting line well above the vice jaws (I guess about ~75% of the part was above the jaw line). Once the proper height was set on the "Z" axis (1/2 the part dia + 1/2 cutter thickness), both sides were cut with a thin slitting saw. The finished parts were +/- .002" of each other so the halves were close enough to be interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I made something similar and to cut it in half, simply clamped the part in a Kurt D 675 vice with the parting line well above the vice jaws (I guess about ~75% of the part was above the jaw line). Once the proper height was set on the "Z" axis (1/2 the part dia + 1/2 cutter thickness), both sides were cut with a thin slitting saw. The finished parts were +/- .002" of each other so the halves were close enough to be interchangeable.
    I thought that too, until I saw how thin the bearing was.

That would be way too simple, can you complicate it for me?

One catch with virtually any solution using a slitting saw is that my arbor using a 3" saw will not permit cutting through both sides, rotating for the second cut is doable but hard to get very precise with out some form of rigid indexing.
    Flange OD is 1.200. Maybe making a small as possible arbor would just let me squeak by it's limits.

Sure wish I could find these to purchase, would save a lot of time, kind of hard to believe I haven't seen any really.

The control block that these go in has to be machined as well so there can be some fudge factor in the final size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Most of my boring bars and cutter arbors are homemade. Usually to do a specific job. After all, if you can't spend a couple days to build the set up and tooling for a job that takes 3 min, why bother? The task obviously isn't worth the effort.