Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying land to build house and runway question

Buying land to build house and runway question

I was hoping to buy an existing grass strip, but that won't happen. My next alternative is to buy land on which I can build a house & hanger, and have about 1,000' to 1,500' of land for a grass runway. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your experience? What obstacles are there? Thanks!

You need to check the local zoning/land use laws. Around here you'd never get approval to that these days. There are some groups that give talks about it at Oshkosh from time to time. I can't imagine NE PA to be particularly more lenient on this than northern Virginia.

Are you looking to stay in the NE Pa area? If there's no local regulations against it, I'd say your biggest obstacle will be any residents in the area.

I suspect it really comes down to "where" your wanting to do this. If you have an area in mind, start with the County offices and go from there. I'd also suggest tapping in with EAA or AOPA as I'm sure they've addressed this same inquiry several times.

You might try the state Bureau of Aviation. They've likely come across this issue before and let you know what the "climate" is like in the areas you are considering.

As noted above, begin at town hall and check the zoning or land use regulations for the part of town that you are looking to purchase in. Speak with the state aviation department. If the runway is for your personal use and not open to the public, it is likely that they will have no input. Those folks will be able to advise as to what state land use laws have to say about aviation as a land use. Here in NH the state law says that aviation is an accepted land use. This can preempt town ordinances. Note - this part of the NH statues came about because of a fight between a town and a resident. The resident won, but it took a lot of effort.

A surprising number of farms have enough open land for a runway and the resident(s) own a recreational airplane.

I will note, as someone who lives on an airport in the NE US, there are a lot of things that you will not see in the glossy brochure about "living on an airport." Never thought that I would own a big pickup truck and find myself plowing all alone in a snow storm in the middle of the night. Not to mention getting stuck on a patch of ice and having to hike to get another truck with a tow chain. And you better own a tractor with a 6' mower deck, not one of those wimpy thing that they call riding mowers.....

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

As others have stated, best to start with zoning and state transportation law. Here in Arizona, our Department of Transportation regulates aviation, but only within 70 NM of what they deems a congested metro. I live well outside of this boundary, so they have no objection or authority on my strip. Navajo county requires a Special Issue Use Permit, which goes through two public hearings and an environmental impact survey (water drainage). The feds require a 7480-1 submitted too assure your strip will not adversely effect air safety. A few states have aviation departments which can guide you through all the processes, permits, and waivers you may need in your location......which may save you money and spinning your wheels, sometimes the process is easier if you take the steps in a specific order and someone who is in authority and familiar with the process can be very helpful. Good Luck.

Best Regards.......George
    George Dean
    CP-ASMEL/I, S-6ES
    EAA, APA, & AOPA member
    KTYL/KGEU, EAA White Mountain Chapter 586 - Show Low Regional KSOW
    "If you go down, go down standing up"

I've done it once in Illinois, and came within a gnat's whisker in Ohio. Everyone has covered the sources well. My experience was that a neighbor objected, they asked him why, he said I don't want the airplanes around, and they stamped it approved. A neighbor has to have a safety or other major issue to interfere...again, just my experience.

If you happen to wander into Ohio, I have a very helpful individual at ODOT for you...PM me if you want it. Oh, and I think the miniumum in Ohio is 1800 feet to be 'blessed'.

Good luck, and to echo...get the biggest mower you possibly can...mowing interferes with flying!

Jim

I appreciate all the information. Thank you!

Hearing stories of states with all these regulations and obstacles makes my head hurt, and make me sad.

I know of several grass strips here in Oklahoma, but haven't heard any stories of trouble or obstacles. I think it's as simple as mowing the grass and then landing in the pasture.

We made a new field here in NE NYS years back, had no issues with DOT or FAA (consulted both), and then one 'downstater' built a big home directly on the final approach. There was some complaining as we host the ANG with their Blackhawks for night training and after some effort and communication, we are now running rather smoothly as long as the departing flat-pitch guys bear a bit off center-line and avoid flying right over the guy's house.
    So, my advice would be to be very open and congenial to neighbors as they can, if 'connected', cause heart-burn. I'd say you include them in the plans from the beginning. Just a thought.