Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your dream aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I have never seen a better price for a Goose, ever...this is what you normally pay for a good Widgeon. It's a steal(wonder what's wrong with it :-) ). Maybe the one that's in your father's home movies is now a part of the S-39 I spoke of. The restorer used about 5 wrecks he found in the Alaska bush and other places to rebuild this one. Took him 40,000 hours and 40 years to complete it--it's quite the story. I'm pretty sure it's certified because the fuselage he used had an N-number and I believe he also had a plate.

Setting up a sightseeing business with it sounds like a fun idea but only in a place with year-long good warm weather so you can fly all the time to pay off the loan. Anyways, it's no longer for sale, dagnabit! Kermit Weeks bought it a short time ago but you can see it at his Fantasy of Flight in Florida.

Oh, Buffet doesn't call me any more.:-)

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircr...sikorsky-s-39/
    Thanks for the link. I was thinking the S39 had found a good home, but now I hear they're closing. I wonder what Kermit plans to do with the airplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Thanks for the link. I was thinking the S39 had found a good home, but now I hear they're closing. I wonder what Kermit plans to do with the airplanes?
    I don't think the planes are going anywhere. It sounds like he closed FOF so he can build his dream of a destination type theme park. Time will tell.

I don't know how much overlap there is between the sites but the S-39 site a was familiar with is http://www.spiritofigor.com/
    Last edited by Mr. Hopkins; 08-30-2014 at 03:46 AM. Reason: grammar

My dream aircraft was always the P-51 Mustang and the Hawker Sea Fury. As I have gotten older my desire to own such a high-performance, high-maintenance airplane has dimmed and I think I would be perfectly happy with a Beech T-34 Mentor. Of course any of this would require more money than I have or would hope to have. Right now I am happy building my Thatcher CX4. It really is a dream come true to be able to build and fly my own airplane. I do buy the occasional lottery ticket, and if I win I will start shopping for a T-34 and make arrangements to go for a ride or two in a Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    I don't think the planes are going anywhere. It sounds like he closed FOF so he can build his dream of a destination type theme park. Time will tell.
    Fantasy of Flight was a wonderful place, a marvelous experience, but not a 3-day destination, unless you're the type that has to spend an hour or two with each airplane. Hated to see it close.

Larry N.