Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Stromberg Mixture Control on the C-85 and C-90, Truths and Tales

champ driver: Thanks for the comment. Just trying to help.

Tony

My first airplane was a Taylorcraft which really taught me to fly.
    This discussion got me thinking about shutting down an engine.
    I remember the 70's when I was an Auto mechanic, we used to overhaul those cast iron V8 chevy's. There would be so much wear at the top of the cylinder in 100k miles you couldn't get the piston out without a ridge reamer.
    I bought an old Datsun with a couple 100k miles and decided to overhaul it. The pistons popped right out, no ridge. I don't know if the Japanese were using better iron, I doubt it because the body rusted out in no time.
    That bothered me and I came up with an answer.
    When you shut down those old cars you killed the ignition and as the engine wound down it kept dumping fuel into the combustion chamber washing down the cylinder.
    The Datsun had a solenoid on the carb which was controlled by the ignition switch. Called an anti diesel valve.
    That old Tcart was a serious oil burner and when I overhauled the cylinders they were badly worn.
    Cars now shut off the injectors, I haven't overhauled for years but they seem to run forever.
    I fixed carbs for a living for a while in the late 80's, I was so glad to see EFI come along.

When I went and picked up my new airplane, after we started it I shut it off with the mag. The man I purchased her from told me, always shut it off using mixture control. This is a Stromberg carb.

Myself I love carbs, I built me an 671 supercharged 350. I used edelbrock 600 carbs. I used these because they flowed just the amount I wanted at WOT not to rich for my setup and the leaner you can keep this at WOT the better throttle response you have. But the idle circuit was just a little to small for this setup. I took these carbs apart and reworked the idle circuits to get the flow I wanted at idle. Doing this make a real responsive throttle. Better then just dropping a couple carbs off the shelf on the engine.

Fuel injection I was just bolting parts together..What fun is that?

Name:  Supercharger.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  94.7 KB

Tony

P.S. this is an S10 pickup
    Last edited by 1600vw; 02-17-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Bill where do you live? I have lived at 9700' in summit county Colorado. I can not imagine flying an airplane to 14,000'. I just watched a show on aviators about high flying and oxygen deprivation, this would worry me at those altitudes you have flown at.

What size prop do you use at that altitude?

Tony
    When in the Navy the pilots of the S2 we crewed in regularly took it to 16,000 feet with the admonition to check your finger nails. If they start to turn blue we will descend. I will never forget one time we were about 15,000 and a crew mate in the back working the camera asked for permission to smoke. Denied. Two puffs and I bet he would have gone out like a light.