Thread: 72 hr simulator training

72 hr simulator training

Great video! I liked his comment about simming allowing him to 'get inside his bubble' (total immersion) as he prepares for his flight. Sums my feeling about it up nicely.

Nice sim set-up. I thought I had gone big-time by getting a couple of 23" monitors to replace the pair of 19's I've been using. Speaking of which....has anyone looked at some of the cockpits the serious simmers have set up? Some of the set-ups must have enough $$ in them to buy a 'real' airplane (but the maintenance is less, of course).

Thanks, VW!
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 12-19-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: fat fingers, as usual

Jim I was lucky another aviator shared this with me and I wanted to pass it along.

I have always wanted to go multi monitor but never have the funds. I spend so much money on my hobby called flying not much left to do anything else. I hear people say they are getting fat. I tell them to do what I do and spend all their money on flying and no money left to eat. But this is another subject...my wife would love to comment here I am sure...lol

I drool over some of the setup's I have seen. Just imagine having something like in this video. I was lucky and got to spend some time in a helicopter simulator that real helicopter pilots use. I shocked the pilot whom let me fly it. I did not crash once, nor did I over torque her. I was amazed how close FSX was to this simulator, I even wondered if maybe the program they used was not in fact FSX. Today I would do even better, I have about 500 hrs flying a helicopter on FSX.

But it did make me sick. I was told after a helicopter pilot flies in this he is grounded for 12 hrs. No flying for 12 hrs. I grounded myself for 3 days. Better safe then sorry.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 12-19-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Do not like the block look,changed it up...

Interesting...the whole 'made me sick' thing....do you mean airsick? Wild that pilots are grounded after using it!

500 hours in a helo sim?...WOW! Tell me you have a comfortable seat!

If your video card supports more than one monitor, craiglist is your answer....just make sure you test what you get before buying. If the card doesn't support it, check around the gamer (forgive the phrase....lack of a better term) sim forums. The high-end guys dump their old cards to get the latest and greatest. Ramping up doesn't have to be all that expensive if you're willing to take the 'used' chance.

By shopping around, I found these new 1080p 23" monitors for $129 each and they work great.

I am fortunate. The only flying issue I have with my wife is when I want to fly left seat!

Jim

Yes air sick or motion sickness. I have wore two seats out. My main desk top computer took a dump, hard drive crashed I believe. Now I am on my lap top. Its a quad core 2.4 GHz. It works but nothing blazing. Someday I will get a new desk top.
    Can video cards be installed in laptops? I know nothing of laptops.
    Tony

P.S. My wife told me she will support my aviation dream just don't ask her to get involved.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 12-19-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: New thought

I think you're pretty much stuck with the original video card in a laptop. You might be able to get an upgrade from the original laptop manufacturer, but unless it's a pretty serious laptop, it still would only have a single video port. (Laptop components are as a general rule more expensive than desktop stuff.)

Just a thought....Depending on the age and capability of your deceased desktop, it might be worth putting a new hard drive in. You wouldn't need the latest/greatest...just match the capability of the rest of the machine.