A seal went out of the front of my mag. I noticed oil dripping from my mag. I thought, no oil in my mag, this should not be. So off comes the cap. The mag was half filled with oil. The points had been running under oil and working. I just flew this airplane the day before. No good.

Being I had no idea how old this mag was, it was not being rebuilt, it was being replaced. So I start calling people whom claim to have new mags. After some drilling I find no indeed these are rebuilt mags being called new, and no one wanted to recharge the magnets. Another story but I want this done.

I finally find a man whom has New Mags in a wooden box setting on a wooden shelf. Just what I wanted, so I order a new mag and wait for the box to come. I go and tell my A&P IA friend what is going on and ask if he will help me. He looks at me and says, after a min or two hesitation, sure when it comes in look me up.

My box arrives and he grabs his buzz box and we head out to the hanger. Before we do anything he hooks the buzz box to the mag. Nothing, zip, zelch, not a thing. We look at it a little bit and he throws his hands up and says, send it back and walks out taking his buzz box with him.

So here I stand looking at this Brand New mag and wondering what is up. I open her up or take the cap off. I grab my multi meter and take a reading across the points. Nothing, notta, zipp...lol This is not right. So I start remembering back to the days we all drove points ignition cars. I get me a nice clean rag and wipe the point a few times. Take another reading, oh, now I have a reading. I check the gap and put her back together.
I remove my old Mag and install my new one. I grab my degree wheel and hook her to the prop. I then make me a pointer and find TDC. I set the timing at around 28 BTD and tighten her up. Remove all tools and Take her out and she starts on the first pull of the prop, and man does she sound good. After about 30 mins running tied down I untie her and put her to bed.

The next morning before sunup I am in the hanger and getting her out. As the sun rises I am on climb out. As I am flying I see the A&P IA pull up. I fly around for about an hr doing touch and go's and such. After I land the A&P IA walks up and says, she sounds great, what did you do. I told him. He thought it was great the mag was not bad, he also said...good job....after this he said..anytime you need a Condition inspection you look me up.

Tony