Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Workshops

Building Workshops

I'm wondering if EAA offers any workshops or forums, either through AirVenture or elsewhere, that someone could learn about what is involved in building an airplane? I consider myself an enthusiast at this point, so I'm looking for something that would not be very technical. Just trying to find something that would provide very basic information, to see if it is something that I would be willing to pursue.

Thank you!

Yessir.
    I was pointed to this through another forum the other day.
    I'm in the same boat.
    Check this out:
    http://sportair.com/

Troy,
    As pointed out there are sport air workshops around the country. Also at Oshkosh ( sorry "airventure" ), there are daily hands on workshops that cover gas welding, composite work, airframe construction, covering, woodworking, sheet metal and riveting etc etc. There are also combination "workshops"/sales pitches on tig welding.

I'm not sure which workshop you were referring to but my wife took the TIG workshop a year or so ago and I hung out and watched. If there was any "sales pitch" I missed it. Sure the thing was sponsored and taught by guys from one of the welder companies but it was 99% informative. Nobody tried to sell us anything.

Thanks all. I'll have to check out the sport air workshops.

Aaron - I saw the workshops you are referring to on the AirVenture schedule, but I'm not sure that's really what I'm looking for at this point. I'm looking for something that would be more general in nature.

Troy

I can speak from personal experience - the EAA workshop convinced me I could build a Sonex. I also attended their builders workshop and it was another great resource of information.

The EAA workshop takes you through the basics, teaches you the skills and habits needed to build, and help you evaluate your own skills at doing so. They have all kinds of different workshops available. Well worth the investment of time and energy!

Blue skies
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex 1517
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    I'm not sure which workshop you were referring to but my wife took the TIG workshop a year or so ago and I hung out and watched. If there was any "sales pitch" I missed it. Sure the thing was sponsored and taught by guys from one of the welder companies but it was 99% informative. Nobody tried to sell us anything.
    Ron,
    Oh its there "The Welding Experts" , "Process XZY is the BEST for XYZ", etc etc. Did any of the instructors ever mention once there there might be better methods for something, if the better method is not what they sell? Honestly I prefer educational workshops to NOT be "taught" by a company with a vested interest in a particular technology. I prefer an independent third party for my un-biased information.

I actually do not want unbiased info. I want to learn how to do the skill and if 'brand x" supplies gear and supplies for the training, that is great with me. I will suggest that all of the manufacturers of tools might want to support the training sessions so that we get to see the different methods and materials. But each company's marketing staff gets to determine whether that is worth their while. I would be surprised to find that those companies were denied the opportunity to participate.

But as far as building, I do not need the "best" method, I just need to be able to create airworthy parts. And if one company decides to support homebuilders more than another, I am happy to reward them with my business.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I actually do not want unbiased info. I want to learn how to do the skill and if 'brand x" supplies gear and supplies for the training, that is great with me. I will suggest that all of the manufacturers of tools might want to support the training sessions so that we get to see the different methods and materials. But each company's marketing staff gets to determine whether that is worth their while. I would be surprised to find that those companies were denied the opportunity to participate.

But as far as building, I do not need the "best" method, I just need to be able to create airworthy parts. And if one company decides to support homebuilders more than another, I am happy to reward them with my business.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Wes,
    Maybe you do not need the "best" method, but what you need are "safe" methods. There really is no "best" way to do everything. I do take issue when a company that sells tools, will give out "advise" that conflicts with engineering reports and FAA handbooks. When this "advise" also happens to make the particular technology they are selling appear to be the best choice, I see conflict of interest.

The workshop was specifically advertised as a MIG class. I'm not sure why you would expect them to tell you that you ought to be welding with something else. It's like going to the fabric forum and expecting to be told you should be using metal skins.