Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise

Noise

I hope I don't sound like a complainer because I'm really not but after trudging around the last couple of days (and I use the tram when I can) my 74 year old body gets pretty tired and I want to sleep. I flew my L16 in and camped in the "Vintage Lot" (might be a message there) but the two nights I stayed (Thursday/Friday) the speaker noise from the theater was pretty loud and went on until about 11:00 pm (waaaay past my bedtime). It must have been worse for those closer to the park. Seems like the camping guide said something about 'quiet time' after 10:30 pm. Other than that I had a great time. Sometimes I fly in and sometimes I drive. I'm not sure but don't believe I've ever missed Oshkosh since the first one. I thought everything was well run (other than the noise) and flying in and out was easy. Hope to keep coming for many years yet. Oh! ......and the 7:00 am Yodel wake up call didn't bother me at all as I was already up.

Mike
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Do they still do the low passes over the camp grounds in the mornings, or did they cut that out a long time ago?

Friday morning a bunch of Mustangs took off....but that's 'airplane noise' and OK

Mike

Yea, I had no problems with it, either.
    I thought it was a cool wake up call.
    Just got to thinking back, and in recent past years, don't recall them doing it.

The speakers at the ultralight runway were way too loud. The announcer was very informative, but you couldn't hear the planes because the PA system was turned up so high.

I know exactly what Mike means. This is one of the two main reasons I went back to camp at Warbirds, rather than Scholler. This year, I bought a set of those silicon ear plugs one of the vendors were selling. The real intent was for shooting and other high volume activities. The vendor said that they were comfortable for sleep, too. So I popped them in when bedding down that night and had two of the best nights sleep I ever had at OSH. (I am sure that the weather helped!)

I was hanging out with some people south of the ultralight runway on Friday night. We could hear the Sinise concert very well and loudly enough that I can only imagine how loud it was near the stage, and when the movie started, we could hear the dialogue perfectly.

Since I have a L16 I could have joined the War Birds and parked in the WB area but it's (the L series) kind of out of the loop and away from the action.

Mike

I am 8 years younger than you and at home I really have trouble sleeping. I was also in the Vintage camping and the sounds of Airventure "going to sleep" was quite soothing to me, likewise the sounds of Airventure "waking up". And the return of the "yodeler".....icing on the cake for me. Yes, I could hear the "goings on" of the night owls (those that stay up past 9pm ) but, like living in an apartment building, I KNOW that I have neighbors very close, and that nobody has the right-of-way. Mike, put that Bose noise cancelling head set on. And I don't think you are a complainer.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

Here's my solution for the noise at night: Walk 10 miles. Drink 2-3 beers. Insert foam earplugs. Sleep until the tent gets too hot in the morning...