Thread: Quick question for iPhone users

Quick question for iPhone users

This may come across as really random, but as a new iPhone user I must ask. For those of you who use an iPhone 4S, how is the battery life provided it isn't used but a few five or ten minute periods throughout the day? And probably several dozen casual photos. 3G but no WiFi. Will it easily last from 7am through 9pm or not nearly? I'm thinking about picking up one of those five or ten amp packs meant for mobile devices so that I can charge halfway through the day if necessary. Oh and I will be using RunKeeper to create a GPS track of photo flights, which will suck a lot of juice.

Until you mentioned RunKeeper, I was thinking it would give you two days of light phone and photo usage between charges. How Runkeeper impacts the battery life... Dunno.

One way to save your battery is to turn off apps when they are not in use. To do this, double click on the "home button" which will display apps that are "running in the background" and using energy. Touch one of the icons and hold it until it starts wiggling. Then touch the right/white circle on the icon and the app will shut down. Do this for all apps visible.

You can then push the "home button."

You are welcome to charge your phone in our booth.

Last edited by Check 6; 07-24-2013 at 08:57 PM.

I have a 4S and was able to go all day last year without trouble. I took about 150-175 pictures each day and would regularly check weather and social media throughout the day and then make about a 10 minute phone call each night to my wife. By the end of the day I would be close to needing a charge, but I didn't have any trouble not making through the day. I would use RunKeeper sparingly. Anything that uses GPS will drain your battery faster, especially on a clogged network like you'll see around Oshkosh during AirVenture.

As for closing apps, I've read conflicting opinions on the benefit of that. Personally, I've only ever closed apps this way if they aren't responding. In my normal day-to-day life I consistently get about 2 days per charge so I guess I don't see much value in closing apps as a way to preserve battery.

Here is a good list of simple setting adjustments you can make to maximize life. Have fun!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...rn_Off_Setting

One thing that really kills battery is bad cell coverage. I know in the past mobile carriers have installed temporary antennas but if the bandwidth gets too crowded your phone will keep trying to send and receive. If you don't need cellular data, turn it off in settings. Maybe just turn it on occasionally. And/or set your email update to manual. Also, turn off your wifi and bluetooth radios if you're not going to use them. I have a Powergen battery. It works great. Prob good for at least one full charge. Maybe two.