Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Must see/do at Oshkosh

Newbie Must see/do at Oshkosh

Hi!

I´m arriving with my father,brother and Uncle from Iceland and we are all getting pretty excited

I have a quick question to all you veteran Oshkosh´rs out there.

What are the must see/do attractions at the Oshkosh Air show and also around Oshkosh area?

Looking forward to the torrent of good answers and tips!

Gisli
    EASA Part-66 Aviation Technician (B737/B767)

Night airshow is not to be missed. Other than that, you'll just want to see and do everything. While Oshkoshers are a nice bunch of folks and there are some good restaurants in town, there just isn't much of a tourist interest outside the grounds in my opinion. Now if you were going to Racine, Madison, Milwaukee, we could come up with stuff.

Thanks FlyingRon!

We will have a car and would not hesitate to take small 1-day road trips (one or two days during the week) to take in the area and attractions around. I see that it´s around 1 hour and 30 min to Milwaukee

Hi, Gisli; Ron is spot-on with his comment about seeing everything! You can concentrate on areas of interest, though, based on what your aviation desires might be. As an example, my wife is big-time into warbirds and historical presentations - I don't see her until we meet up to catch the bus back to the dorms. I'm into homebuilding, technology, and the exhibits. There are both hands-on instructional classes twice a day, every day, on how to work metal, composites, wood, fabric, as well as gas welding and TIG welding. There are hundreds (thousands?) of forums going on every hour of every day - everything from flight experiences by revered aviators to "how do I pick a homebuilt" to "how to fly with your dog." If your interest if photographing planes, you could spend a few DAYS strolling up and down the vintage airplanes, getting that perfect angle at the perfect time of the day. Visit the seaplane base. Very serene. Visit Pioneer Airport (by the museum) and go thru the old hangars there if you want to see some REALLY old stuff. Fly in the helicopters over the show grounds for some great aerial pictures. Take a ride in the Ford Tri-Motor, just cuz you may not be able to in the future. Not knowing you or your interests, my list of must-do's (and I attend every year) are (and not in any sequence): 1/2 day in the museum. Attend a How-To class. Never stop learning. Spend about the total of a day in various forums. Spend a day walking down the Vintage Aircraft. Spend an hour or more at the Ultralight Runway. Spend 1/2 day at the seaplane base. Spend a few afternoons along the runway, just watching planes land. If you get there on the Saturday / Sunday before the show, that's when you'll see all the show planes arriving. Spend an hour or two walking thru homebuilt parking - you'll see some very beautiful aircraft & paintjobs out there. Sit and listen to some presenters at Warbirds in Review - not too many WWII vets remaining, so your time is running out. Spend an hour or two walking thru the WWI re-enactor's camp. VERY interesting. Let us know your interests, and we can zero-in on better suggestions.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    You may want to listen to this Audio webinar with Jim DiMatteo and Jeff Skiles (The Miracle On The Hudson co-pilot)
    Its a little long but is very informative of what to look for at AirVenture 2013

Webinar- EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2013 Features and Attractions
    July 10, 2013 -
    Jim DiMatteo, EAA Vice President for AirVenture Features and Attractions,
    presents the latest news on what to expect at AirVenture 2013.
    84 minutes, 2 seconds
    click link below:
    http://bcove.me/rbvcwiqx

Banned
    See the EAA museum on a poor weather day. IMO, the only worthwhile thing to see off the main grounds is the seaplane base, just a 10 minute bus ride away. Go there for a rest, get away from the Osh hussle & bussle, relaxation, get out of the hot sun, shade and see some great waterbirds flying. Check out the website and follow the link.

http://www.airventure.org/attraction...lane_base.html

Lots of great suggestions here. I might add spending some time at the ultralights runway. It's a lot of fun to watch those guys take off and land. I'd also suggest listening to the ATC if you have an air-band radio or can get on liveatc.net. Listening to the heavy arrival/departure times is a ton of fun. Tour Camp Scholler if you have some time. I can't count how many unique and crazy vehicles we've seen around the campground in the 22 years we've been coming. Other than that, just wander the grounds and see what you like. Odds are you'll run out of time and be left counting the days until AirVenture 2014.

Everybody!

Great tips and pointers! I think we will be very well occupied. I myself am very interested in the vintage warbirds/homebuilds and we are hoping to be able to take a ride if possible. Also the tip about the helicopter rides is nice. Seaplanes is also going to interest us

I´m of to listen to the webinar you pointed out!

I have already downloaded both the eaa app and the eaa radio app hope they come in handy at the show ( side note: is there wifi access at the grounds? )

If you are interested in following me and maybe pointing interesting stuff out to me you can follow me on www.twitter.com/gisli and i´ll follow back i´ll be keeping a good log on their during the week.

In regards to tickets when we arrive, are the lines really long?

brgds gísli

There is an excellent train museum in Greenbay, an hour north of Oshkosh. They have one of the BIGBOY train engines there.

Hi again, Gisli; If you look at the AirVenture map, there are wifi hotspots located in several areas of the grounds. In general, though (past years), sufficient bandwidth was an issue; sometimes great, sometimes sitting there with full signal and nothing will load. Regarding tickets, it depends on when you arrive. If you show up at 8 AM on opening day, I would think they'd be longer. We get ours on the Sunday before, and I've NEVER seen any window with more than one person at them - and most windows with NO people in line. If you show up later in the day, I'm just speculating that the lines would be shorter as well.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton