Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    It came up today in a meeting, so it's definitely on the radar. We'd like to support it for those people that want it, but the pop-up when hitting a site on a mobile browser is a deal-breaker. I just started looking at Tapatalk forums, and it looks like there's a simple way around that ... we'll see what I can find out.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    It came up today in a meeting, so it's definitely on the radar. We'd like to support it for those people that want it, but the pop-up when hitting a site on a mobile browser is a deal-breaker. I just started looking at Tapatalk forums, and it looks like there's a simple way around that ... we'll see what I can find out.
    I am unfamiliar with the pop up you are referring to. I run tapatalk on my android for PoA and "the Purple Board" and It seems to be fine.I do agree with earlier posters that tapatalk is not as "valuable" if working from an iPad, but great from a smaller interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    The pop up he's referring to is if you open up the forums in a browser (on your mobile device) versus the app, it says something along the lines of "There is a mobile app available to view these forums, click okay to learn more" and if you click okay, it takes you to the tapatalk site to buy the app. If you click cancel, it will continue to the page. I totally understand your want to remove that from the plug-in. They are pushing their product, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I can see from a marketing standpoint where some people might think you are forcing them to buy the app instead of just making them aware that there might be a better way for them to browse it if they want to buy it.

I may have to hit up the tapatalk forums for another suggestion, I wish there was an option to open a link in tapatalk from an email. If I'm subscribed to a thread and I get a notification with a link in email and click on it, it takes me to the page in safari instead of within tapatalk.

@Barren - thanks, now I get it.

Hal, has there been any more discussion of this among the powers at HQ?

If the Tapatalk plugin is a no-go, there are a couple of others. Forum Runner is probably the next best after Tapatalk.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Hal,

I too would love to be able to use Tapatalk (or similar) to view the EAA forums. I use it for several other forums I frequent and it works great on my android phone. Hope EAA sees the way clear to get this working.

Thanks!!
    Cheers!

Joe

Bump. Any movement on this in the last few weeks?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Hi Eric - everything is basically ready to go, I'm just waiting to work my up our IT guys' priority list as I need them to do a little bit of work on the server side. I'll post here as soon as it's up and running.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Hello Hal,
    I use Tapatalk for a few other forums. My iPhone allows posting and reading when I have down time on the road. This is would be part of the many diverse ways information is exchanged, as opposed to simply Sport Aviation, and would be very welcome!

Okay, Tapatalk is installed and seems to be working - I've just done a cursory pass on my iPhone, so if those of you that already use the app could give it a try and let me know if you see any issues, that'd be great.

You'll find it in Tapatalk's directory under "Aviation."

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor