Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture First Come First Serve Policy - Time for a Change

I agree with Marty. I would rather pick my site, rather than take the chance I get some undesirable spot.

While I do have sympathy with the OP and others, I don't see a fix on the horizon. Lack of manpower and cost of implementation being the primary barriers.

There is no such thing as a standard staked site. While there are guidelines, most folks stake out what they need. I can't fathom the manpower and supplies needed to stake out the sites. Then you create other issues like inter mixing tents and motor homes. Not only is there a physical size difference, you have to address CO and generator noise.

Them you have the expense of creating the reservation system and hiring the people and equipment to run it.

As you start to see by attempting to fix one issue, other problems pop up that would need to be addressed. The current solution isn't perfect, but it isn't bad for what it costs to run on an annual basis.

So where would you like the EAA to spend your contributions? On a fancy camp reservation system or fighting the FAA and user fees? While it would nice to have it all, we do need to be fiscal responsible.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I have been attending since 1974 and camping since 1987. We camp with the same group year after year and we always arrive early. One has to remember that you pay starting the day you set up. That includes those coming a month early. We usually set aside 5 spots for those camping with us however we pay for our spot plus the others when we arrive. The thing to remember is that all the sites you see roped off are already paid for by someone in the group. There is nothing that say you cant come early in fact it is kind of fun getting to know your neighbors before the chaos sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stadler View Post

And if you plan to drive to Camp Scholler, you can also be confident of finding space. Yes, some folks want a "special spot", which they stake out (and pay for!) many days before the show. But whenever you arrive you will find ample camp sites available, where you can be among other aviation enthusiasts. We don't need a "lottery" --everyone is already a winner.
    Not true with electric sites.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by psvinny View Post
    I have been attending since 1974 and camping since 1987. We camp with the same group year after year and we always arrive early. One has to remember that you pay starting the day you set up. That includes those coming a month early. We usually set aside 5 spots for those camping with us however we pay for our spot plus the others when we arrive. The thing to remember is that all the sites you see roped off are already paid for by someone in the group. There is nothing that say you cant come early in fact it is kind of fun getting to know your neighbors before the chaos sets in.
    I agree this is one option and it is how the system currently works. Before starting this thread I was advised to do just this. Find someone going in early, ask them to buy and stake a site and put a tent on it which I would take down when I arrived and park the RV. I understand much of this "stake and hold" activity begins Thursday and Friday before AirVenture starts. Guess I will go with the flow.

As for the sites with electricity, apparently those are soaked up right away at $55/night on June 28th. In order to enjoy AirVenture you would have to rent it through the end of the event starting June 28th, which would cost $2,090. Going rate for hotels near the field is around $300/night during Airventure, which would approach the same cost if you spent seven days at AirVenture at a hotel on the field, if you booked the room 12 months before the event. So a little bit of the free market is at play with the electrical sites. Those sites are close into the venue. Only problem is that I understand you have to show up in person on June 28th to get one. Score another for the locals.

I personally see nothing wrong with the way its done now. The people who show up to claim a spot early are paying $750.00 (30 days @ $25) for that privilege. Its also not just locals who do this. I know people from as far away as Virginia who do it.

I usually try and get up there the Friday evening or Saturday morning before the show starts. I have always been in a decent spot. The only year I didn't get where I like to camp was 2011. I wasn't able to get there till Sunday afternoon. Still, while not ideal, it wasn't bad. Only a 2 minute walk to the showers and 5 minutes to the store. There are no really bad spots in Scholler. Just some that are better than others.

Dave in Missouri

Turbopilot, You can call EAA right now and secure a hookup spot- although you will have to start paying from today otherwise you can have a spot waiting for you if you contact one of many RV dealers in the area and have them set it up for you orrrrr you just need to show up a day or two before and pick a spot up front like most of us up there do.
    I have never been turned away, had a bad spot or been disapointed but once an that as you might guess was in 2010.
    Count your blessing instead because there may not be an Oshcash to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPlas View Post
    Turbopilot, You can call EAA right now and secure a hookup spot- although you will have to start paying from today ...
    Wonder if EAA is on this frequency. The telephone number listed for Camp Scholler is not working currently. Maybe they don't turn it on until June 28th. In any event, my Australian friend did contact someone in EAA and was told the sites with electricity could not be booked until June 28th. My assumption is that you needed to be physically present in Oshkosh on the 28th for that booking as you do for the standard advanced booking. Need to confirm if that is correct.

Well it was supposed to be on first come first served at the door but the last two years all you had to do was call EAA(not the campground, they dont open till the end of the month) anytime and they would gladly take you money. Try the number on the back of your membership card turbo. I had heard through the grapevine that they were still doing it that way but if nothing else you would just have to wait till the 28th.

We've been booking our spot for the next year at Sleepy Hollow, when we leave, since we started going to OSH 12 years ago.
    Been in the same space every time. (69)

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Wonder if EAA is on this frequency. The telephone number listed for Camp Scholler is not working currently. Maybe they don't turn it on until June 28th.
    Give our Membership Services number a call - they can answer your questions:

1-800-564-6322

- Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation