Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Checks

Ramp Checks

OkieFlyer

(User ID: OkieFlyer)
    Pre-takeoff checklist

Re: Ramp Checked

The wife of one of my co-workers is something of a big wig at the FAA in OKC. She recently told me that the FSDOs have been called to "start really cracking down on pilots." She went on to warn me that I should expect FSDOs to be much more in individual pilots' business. She didn't give any specifics, but was serious, and didn't act too happy about it. I got the feeling she was fairly disgusted about the orders they had recieved. Again, I'm not sure what all that means, but she certainly ain't a liar. Take it for what it's worth.

I wanted to share this. This is from another forum I am on. I hope its ok for me to do this, but I thought everyone should see this.

I taked to my FSDO on Mon. An application that should take 20 min to process is going to take ~2-3 wks. They are playng up sequestration for all it's worth. The likelyhood of increased surveillance on Pt. 91 operators is probably close to zilch. They simply don't have the manpower.

Where I am we have not seen an FAA Aviation Safety Inspector on a weekend, for a long time. They do not have the budget.

I agree that the government has adopted a policy of cutting services and interaction with their customers first and preserving the internal spending on pet projects.

Life in the breakdown lane.

Wes
    N78PS

This was just posted yesterday. I am not sure you will see these changes that fast. I believe its more of a warning to things to come.

I guess time will tell..

Fly Smart

Well so be it. We all know what is involved in a ramp check. Always have all required items, (ARROW) There is a great deal of experience on this forum, so getting through a ramp check should be a snap.

I was ramped several times every year when I was working for the man. Went something like this: Maintenance inspectors crawled over all parked aircraft and logbooks. Operations Inspectors came into the flight planning room with a clipboard saying "OK boys, get out the certificates and your lenses." Most pilots are of an age that needed them. Had a surprise on one of these visits.The inspector passed out FAA recruiting packets after the inspection.

I was ramped only once in my Luscombe at a fly-in. No sweat. Never in my Beech. If you do get ramped, ask lots of questions when he is done with you. Less time for the next guy. They need to leave right after lunch to return to the FSDO by COB.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    If you do get ramped, ask lots of questions when he is done with you. Less time for the next guy.
    You are an evil, evil man. Can I join your fan club? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Praise from Ceasar is praise indeed. Old age, guile and deceit beats youthful exuberance every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Well so be it. We all know what is involved in a ramp check. Always have all required items, (ARROW) There is a great deal of experience on this forum, so getting through a ramp check should be a snap.
    Bob
    Bob,
    you must be old as me! Drop one of those R's unless you fly internationally. Also remember to have your government issued picture id.
    I was ramp checked a few years ago. I believe the FSDO guy just happened to be there and was bored or curious. I doubt reduced goverment spending will cure either of those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    This was just posted yesterday. I am not sure you will see these changes that fast. I believe its more of a warning to things to come.

I guess time will tell..

I spoke to the East MI FSDO today on the phone. They are not aware of any directive to "ramp up" ramp checks.

Quote Originally Posted by DRGT View Post
    Bob,
    you must be old as me! Drop one of those R's unless you fly internationally. Also remember to have your government issued picture id.
    I was ramp checked a few years ago. I believe the FSDO guy just happened to be there and was bored or curious. I doubt reduced goverment spending will cure either of those conditions.
    Sometimes cleared customs three times in one day. I used "Crewmembers ID card" functioned as a kind of passport. Issued by State dept & FAA.
    Last edited by Bob Dingley; 03-21-2013 at 06:28 PM.