Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patty Wagstaff returning to Airventure?

Patty Wagstaff returning to Airventure?

While browsing the net: http://www.pattywagstaff.com/schedule.htm

I noticed Patty Wagstaff's schedule reports an Airventure show. I think it would be great to see her perform again at Airventure. However EAA's site has no mention of it? Anyone know if it is going to happen? It would be nice to turn the page and move forward from her previous predicament.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danielfindling View Post
    I think it would be great to see her perform again at Airventure.
    I agree. 5 years seems like a long enough probation, but locals may feel differently.

I agree. 5 years seems like a long enough probation, but locals may feel differently.
    But I would think the local liquor distributors, defense attorneys and auto body shops would like to see her back. She's a hell of a stick and rudder pilot- better than almost anyone save Bob Hoover- but she still should have been held to the same standard as the rest of us after that debacle a few years back. The rest of us would have probably kissed our medicals goodbye after a public DUI offense at a major airshow.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    But I would think the local liquor distributors, defense attorneys and auto body shops would like to see her back. She's a hell of a stick and rudder pilot- better than almost anyone save Bob Hoover- but she still should have been held to the same standard as the rest of us after that debacle a few years back. The rest of us would have probably kissed our medicals goodbye after a public DUI offense at a major airshow.
    Double standards are at work most everywhere.

Don

A single DUI isn't going to kill your medical, but you're going to have to show the court records, driving history in every state you've been issued to show you hadn't had another, etc... alcohol assessment, etc.

A second event with a second class is going to be even tougher. Even for a third, they'll want demonstration of complete abstinence from alcohol. For a second, there will be continual monitoring from an HIMS AME and repeated testing to assure compliance. It will not be cheap.

And as far as the FAA is concerned, it doesn't matter if you got it on the backroads of Fairfax County like Randy Babbitt driving your Ford Mustang down show center at Oshkosh.

As far as I know Patty has never had any DUI offense except this one, which seems to me is somewhat less than if you were driving on a public road where other traffic was in danger. She was driving on the taxiway or maybe runway, at night, when the airport is closed to any airplane traffic.

I think this event became so big mostly because of who she was. If this had happened to anyone not familiar to the public the outroar might well have been less.

Also Patty is probably a type A personality, and she may not have been as meek and cooperative and repentant when she was stopped as she might have been.
    If I remember right the sheriff officer was female too, so there may have been a clash of two of the same strong willed independent people.

It does seem to me that some of you are judging her awfully harshly, like one mistake and she should lose her pilot rights forever.

Now, I think drunk driving is a serious thing, and should be dealt with strongly if there is really is a dangerous situation like someone speeding through traffic or repeat offenses.
    I know Patty, not well but just to say hello. I have flown formation next her and she is obviously a top pilot and very polite and normal on the radio.None of that," I'm the boss" stuff that one sometimes get with men who wish they were commanding the troops.

I don't know her that well to do it myself, but hopefully whoever is close to her has had a sincere conversation with her to the point that one mistake might deserve a second chance, but it can't happen again.
    I also imagine that she is a pretty bright lady and knows this herself.

Repeat offenses may mean that someone did not just do something foolish, but really has an addiction weakness, and just can't stop. These people should not be driving.

I have a friend who is actually in prison now, finishing a year sentence for DUI. He is a nice guy, would never intentionally hurt anyone, but he can't stop drinking. Fortunately he has never even had an accident. What he does is get in his truck, buy a bottle, and go park and drink himself into a stupor. Not even really driving, but still qualifies as DUI. And he has had numerous chances but still can't lay off for good.

I really hate mean drunks; and the police blotter is full of the trouble they cause. There is a young man who is in jail here now, who went clubbing to celebrate his birthday, and ends up at 2 am in a bar fight and hitting a cop. So, for just being really stupid he is facing a min of 5 years in prison. It will likely be plea bargained down.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-16-2013 at 03:07 PM.

If it's been 5 years, that's enough. I welcome her back.

I think everyone on the forums I have been on has been way to hard on Patty. She was just at Oshkosh having a good time with friends, had a little too much to drink and did something dumb. Just because she is who she is, it isn't fair to be so hard on her. Let her come back.

Also Patty is probably a type A personality, and she may not have been as meek and cooperative and repentant when she was stopped as she might have been.
    If I remember right the sheriff officer was female too, so there may have been a clash of two of the same strong willed independent people.
    Let's just call it what it was: "resisting arrest".

It does seem to me that some of you are judging her awfully harshly, like one mistake and she should lose her pilot rights forever.
    If you put yourself out in the public eye like she does and are held out as a role model to young women (or men for that matter since she has been a pilot with a level of skill I have sought to emulate my entire time in aviation), you should be held to a higher standard and likewise hold yourself to an even higher standard. That is just what I have always been taught.

Maybe I am just being more sensitive than I should be. A month ago today, two of my friends and EMS colleagues were murdered by a driver who had a few drinks, made some poor decisions and then who got away on technicalities because our prosecutor down here is a spineless ninny.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

She didn't receive favorable treatment. Here is what the presiding judge Barbara Key said on the record:

Key said the incident involving Wagstaff was not much different than other
    first-offense drunken driving or resisting an officer cases she sees and
    therefore the penalty Wagstaff received should not be any harsher or more
    lenient because she is a famous aerobatic pilot.