Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Icon A5 Request For Weight Increase Exemption Status

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    This is very old news but interesting. Indepenant Aircraft has an LSA amphib in some sort of development and therefore could be considered an Icon competitor and therefore would try to negatively influence the FAA's decision. The letter's contents sound dire and apocolyptic--kind of humourous actually in a dark sort of way. This obviously went nowhere-"congressional inquiry", now that's laughable. Independent Aircraft, however, was successful in having the FAA comment period extended last year by about a month. A quick look at their site today shows the last entry in "news" as Nov. 2011 so they don't sound too active.
    Yeah, the letter from Mr. Brown certainly attempts to ramp up the FUD factor for sure!

My theory is that we are finally reaching the end of this saga and they are just dotting the I's and crossing the T's at this point in preparation for posting the final ruling on the request...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kmhd1 View Post
    My theory is that we are finally reaching the end of this saga and they are just dotting the I's and crossing the T's at this point in preparation for posting the final ruling on the request...
    The FAA's "timely" reply on this file means your theory is as good as anyones.

they seem to be a little a bit more active than reported

Independent Aircraft, however, was successful in having the FAA comment period extended last year by about a month. A quick look at their site today shows the last entry in "news" as Nov. 2011 so they don't sound too active.
    Floats, I just went to Independent Aircrafts web site, cool plane looks a bit rough though and on the first page it says that it was updated on May 13th 2013. I wounder if they will request an exemption for folding wings....I mean spin resistance

Congressional Inquiry

This obviously went nowhere-"congressional inquiry", now that's laughable.
    If you look in the docket you will see that Icon had a Congressional Inquiry from the aviation subcommittee chair before Independent Aircraft had the Speaker send one over to the FAA. I think it was a pissing match because in all actuality the FAA, or any Department for that matter, cannot give any consideration to an inquiry from a member of congress that influences their decision. Its highly illegal, and commonly called corruption.

Now, a Congressional Hearing would be laughable!

Below was pasted from the GOVs website to explain the difference if any one is interested.

Congressional Inquiries

Public Law entitles constituents to correspond with their elected officials. Interested parties may ask their elected officials to help them with a matter involving them and/or the Department of the Defense (DoD).

Members of Congress hold their office by the vote of their citizen constituents. As a Member of Congress, they will assist you by making a Congressional Inquiry or "A Congressional" on your behalf as to the status of your case with a federal agency or department. Call – Find out who your Congressman is. This information is avaiable on USA.gov.

The Department takes an active interest in their constituents’ problems and will insist each inquiry be given sympathetic consideration, equitable treatment, and timely response. For DoD Congressional Inguiries, the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs is responsible for coordinating requests for information from Congress. The homepage can be found at http://la.defense.gov/, and includes a general description of how the office functions and administers legislative affairs for the Department with Congress and the White House. The office is continuing to improve the Web site within the bounds of the Department’s security regulations.

Banned
    Popeye, thanks for pointing out the difference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    I wounder if they will request an exemption for folding wings
    Aahhhh, but those power in-cockpit folding wings are a god-send to airboat drivers....greatest invention since the aileron!

Now thats something I would love to see! Does anyone know where I can see a video of the A-5 with the wings folded under power on the water. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen a picture with the wings folded just sitting in the water... can anybody point me in the right direction?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Now thats something I would love to see! Does anyone know where I can see a video of the A-5 with the wings folded under power on the water. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen a picture with the wings folded just sitting in the water... can anybody point me in the right direction?
    I don't think that exists, at least I've never seen a video or in person at the demo at the Osh seaplane base. Perhaps the protoypes are not set up for it or I'm sure they would have demonstrated on the water by now. I'm assuming you've seen the mockup land demos of the wingfold. If not, go their website, click multimedia and then click The Today Show for real world(not animation) demo.

Bill here is my late reply have had no spare time lately. my expierience with C/fibre is from the racing industry both cars and motorcycles where the criteria for components was lightness and strength with 0% flex. when flex did occur the various components cracked .obviously a different application to the aircraft industry however for me the A5 tail boom seems to short to have as much flex as it does in the stall test video. is it the boom moving or the tailplane or both ? i would also like to know how the tailplane is mated to the top of the rudder as they are seperate components when made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Perhaps you could be more detailed about your experience with composite.

Anything will break at some stress level, but generally a composite airplane ( from glider to 787) will take quite a bit of visible deflection without breaking.
    Might get some gel coat surface crazing, but that is not structural.

Kayla,
    0% flex in race cars or airplanes is impossible, all structures flex, some more than others. It depends on the size of the tailboom, the materials Young's modulus of elasticity, and in this case the t-tail increases the moment. As I said before, this is normal. I was told that the new 787 carbon fiber wing tips flex so high in normal flight that it blocks the passenger view.

The mount structure at the top of the fin is likely similar (I have not looked) to any modern composite glider or motor glider. The only way to reduce boom flex is to add more material ( weight ). And they don't need more airframe weight. Carbon fiber is not quite as light (or stiff) as some claim, it seems. (Since at least one competing company with a standard steel tube trussed Cub amphib has met the SLSA weight limit)