Thread: Identification Help

Identification Help

Can anybody Identify the cylinder pictured? The bore at the base as nearly as I can measure is 5.004 inches.
    Thanks
    GennaroName:  Unknown Cyl 1.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  95.2 KB

Sure looks like a Pratt. Take another bore measurement. A 985 is a touch bigger.
    Bob

It can't be a 985, you have to be looking at the rear of the cylinder in this picture. If it was the front of the cylinder you would see where the pushrod tubes mount into the front of the rockers. Also the Pratt 985 doesn't have those large radius curves in the fins near the plug hole, that detail is very unusual. The Pratt has the exhaust exiting the cylinder at the rear, this one exits on the left side of the cylinder in this picture, you can see the studs. And the 985 has cylinder hold down studs evenly spaced around the base, this one has 2 on each corner.
    Please post another picture or two.

Your wish is my command. I have hammered on my mikes to get them to bend enough to go to 5.1875 but the won't bend enough. The 5 inch sounds like Wright J-6 but that is clearly wrong.Name:  Unknown Cyl2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  97.6 KBName:  Unknown Cyl3.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  97.4 KBName:  Unknown Cyl4.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  97.5 KBGennaro

That is a Wright cylinder.......for a tank engine. It is not an aircraft cylinder. Continental Motors built R975's under license during WWII for tanks. How would you like to cross Europe listening to that thing run......HUH? What ya say?

Ahaa.
    What are your thoughts on using it on an experimental with a J-6? Or I guess a lamp base is a possibility.
    Thanks for your help.
    Gennaro

Now another question - How can I tell the difference between a Continental-Wright R-975 cylinder and a Continental 9A cylinder?
    Gennaro

I have no idea......I used all of my knowledge up in the first question. There are some video's on YouTube of a guy in England running one of those things in the back of a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by exftrplt View Post
    Now another question - How can I tell the difference between a Continental-Wright R-975 cylinder and a Continental 9A cylinder?
    Do the tank engines have dual ignition?

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Do the tank engines have dual ignition?

Ron Wanttaja

Here is a picture of the back of a Continental R975 (Wright tank engine). It is upside down in the picture, showing the carb on top of the accessory section. Looks like dual mags, with starter on top (bottom) and the generator between the mags. This is the same as the R975 aircraft engines. The tank engines had a shroud and big fan installed on the front for cooling since you couldn't keep a tank going fast enough to cool the air-cooled engines (duh) which is why the tank engine cylinders have different cooling fin design than the aircraft engines. There are some parts that are interchangable with the aircraft engines, but not as many as you would think, which is unfortunate for those of us who operate Wright's.
    Dave