Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilot Survey

Quote Originally Posted by whatevrworks View Post
    The reason we are not including Sport or Recreational because they are a tiny percentage of all certificates out there. We dont care whether a private pilot only flies around the pattern every three months to stay current or flies across the country weekly. Mainly we are concerned with what led them to become a pilot, what led them to complete their training, and the issues along the way. We are mainly concerned with providing data to schools and instructors regarding the vast majority of pilots out there and how to reach those potential new pilots. When referring to return on investment I am referring to the way the large aviation organizations spend money on promoting flight training (more and more every year) with very little to show for it.

dave
    Hmmm, perhaps the reason most flight schools don't have an LSA qualified aircraft is that they are told (by exclusion in your survey as an example) that Sport Pilots aren't worth training (implied) and don't go farther in their training (stated, but untrue).

Number of Sport Pilots trained without LSA compliant aircraft = zero.
    Therefore no need to obtain such an aircraft for training, as there are zero students.

Or so your logic works.

What would be more interesting is to see completion rates for Sport Pilot students.

Btw, Sport Pilots are money making honey holes for schools and instructors due to the further training required for additional endorsements.

While a SP might get his permit in twenty-something hours, there's still the controlled airspace endorsement, tailwheel, above/below 87 kts endorsement, upset training, spin training, and yes, even aerobatics.

Not including those who opt to extend to a PPL due to change of mission requirements in flying.

My flight instructor is somewhat biased against Sport Pilot training - he's in the "it's a half measure" camp - but admits that he has been shocked at what a sound investment his little Champ has been, generating more cash than his beloved C172....and proving to be somewhat of a gateway drug for PPL training.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Amen, Brother Frank! It has been an uphill battle to get people to understand that Sport Pilots are responsible for the quality and extent of their training. I fly mainly around Atlanta; but, I do fly cross country, as well. Take a look at a sectional. We have a lot of interesting airspace around here. I have all the available sport pilot endorsements plus about 40 hours dual in GA aircraft. I fly light sport; but, I further my training to be a better, safer pilot. I have had more problems with people doing dumb and even illegal things in the air from pilots that were flying very nice GA aircraft. This may be because of the smaller percentage of sport pilots. I'm not so sure, though. We, sport pilots, have to be more aware of doing things the right way because many GA pilots are convinced that sharing the skies with us "half trained" yokels is dangerous. The majority of pilots I know don't feel that way; but, it does seem the nay sayers are more vocal. There is no reason that a sport pilot can't fly as safely and as professionally as the most senior 747 pilot within the confines of our certificate, training and skills! That part is up to us. I cherish my ticket. Flying, to me, is a lifetime commitment to learn. I don't plan on flying at night and I have no interest in flying when there is restricted visibility. I have received training in both, in case I mess up and get myself in a position to need that training. I don't plan on doing spins; but, I didn't want the first spin I had to get out of by myself to be my first spin. I love to take my little plane up with my wife, on a pretty day and look around. I enjoy the sights and the challenge of doing something just a little better than last time.