Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Sport Aviation Magazine

When does the monthly issue usually ship out? I joined the EAA in July and haven't received the August issue yet. I can view the current and past issues online. I know I gave the correct address because I received my membership card in the mail. Is there currently a shortage? Could there have been a mistake when I joined? Is the mail man jealous and stealing them?

Thanks,
    Falcon21

The magazines are distributed differently than the ID cards and the other EAA junk mail. The sad truth is the magazine lacks any reasonable editorial content so it's no big thing it's not arriving.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon21 View Post
    Is the mail man jealous and stealing them?

May not be all bad, after I moved to MI the mail carrier stopped in one day and told me she was a grandaughter of B.D. Maule. I can only guess she was reading all my aviation pubs. Even since then she is always digging out some cool memoribilia, news articles, family photos, etc. about Maule Aircraft when they were located in Napoleon, MI.

I'm sure your magazines will show up. They always do.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Falcon - send a note to membership@eaa.org and they'll make sure that everything is in order. If an issue has gone missing, they'll be happy to send out a replacement.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The magazines are distributed differently than the ID cards and the other EAA junk mail. The sad truth is the magazine lacks any reasonable editorial content so it's no big thing it's not arriving.
    That may be your opinion but there are other people who enjoy reading the magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    May not be all bad, after I moved to MI the mail carrier stopped in one day and told me she was a grandaughter of B.D. Maule. I can only guess she was reading all my aviation pubs. Even since then she is always digging out some cool memoribilia, news articles, family photos, etc. about Maule Aircraft when they were located in Napoleon, MI.

I'm sure your magazines will show up. They always do.
    That is neat. It is always nice meeting people who have an interest in aviation and even family history in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Falcon - send a note to membership@eaa.org and they'll make sure that everything is in order. If an issue has gone missing, they'll be happy to send out a replacement.
    Thank you Hal.

That may be your opinion but there are other people who enjoy reading the magazines.
    That is my opinion. Whey they decided that slick publishing trumps actually putting accurate and safe information in the magazine it became worse than useless to me.

I rejoined to get the magizine and unfortinately after waiting with baited breath for the first issues I now really don't care when they came in and now I glance through them to see if there is anything of interest and then they go in the stack.
    Recently a new friend who files came by and I gave him all of my new issues, but I kept the older ones.
    Kitplanes seems to have a greater content interest to me and I am very dissappointed with the current content.
    We seem to be joined at the hip with APOA now. I am considering dropping EAA and spending that money with AOPA or just buy a subscription to Kitplanes.

mmcgrew

Magazine / EAA Issues

After nine years of dedicated work - I finished my Hatz Classic. Of course I took pictures and sent to all I know - Including EAA Sport Aviation magazine. I received a reply from a staff member asking for more information. The information asked for was actually sent with the picture. The staff person also said that he did not know when it would run as they had a big backlog???? Why should they have a backlog of member's completed projects? As members, are we not more interested in what and how other members are building than we are in the workings of a "thrush AG plane? Are we not more interested in how John Q member solved a fabric problem than we are in ADS-B options??? August issue of Sport Aviation contained 154 pages with 4 pages dedicated to "what members are building". As a member magazine would you not think that it would run article and pics of member accomplishment??? A look through the magazine clearly shows EAA has lost sight of it's membership.

I think I will send my pic to AOPA. They actually have some home built articles.

PS - Staff reply was from New Jersey - Not OSH

Michael McGrew
    Tennesee

Let's see a picture! Those are pretty neat airplanes. Is it painted like WWI?

I had my run in with the editorial staff when they wrote a pathetically incorrect article on how to deal with ATC in Class C airspace. It had the potential to be a really useful article but it was so WRONG in both the suggested pilot and the example ATC comms that it was worse than useless. When I wrote them and suggested they might actually want to research the correct phraseology in the AIM and the ATC Handbook rather than just writing random stuff off the cuff, I was told that their mistakes were of no consequence and essentially told me to pound sand.

I almost cancelled my EAA membership then and there.