Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was good and bad about OSH2011...

Because there are basically three seasons in Wisconsin: Summer (Late June-August), "Bearable" (maybe two-three weeks on either side of summer) and a winter that will remind one of the innermost circle of Dante's description of hell.

When people complained about the heat and humidity I reminded them that in a short six months a bunch of us will be flying into Pioneer on skis. I don't think it got above 0 during the fly-in last January.

The overall atmosphere is wonderful. I've been coming to Oshkosh since 1970 and enjoy just walking around taking it all in. Most of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful, although some of them knew less about the grounds and event than I did. I loved seeing FiFi again after her 16-year absence. It was fantastic to see Bob Hoover, Jim Lovell, and Gene Cernan. The Honor Flight landing should be an official part of the airshow, and the veterans should de-plane at airshow center like they did this year, but make it an official event instead of doing it while the wall of fire is blowing up in the background.

The trams and the air-conditioned trailer toilets were great ideas, and I'm glad they seem to be permanent improvements, and the food options improve every year. As always it was a great week. But of course there's always room for additional improvements.

Most of the "security" people I saw were high-school-aged kids. They seemed to do little more than roar around in golf carts. Who's going to take them seriously as security people? And what's with all of the traffic anyway?

There were FAR too many unattended items on the flight line. The flight line volunteers are incredibly strict about sticking so much as a toe over the line; where were they with all of the unattended stuff? Those items should be confiscated immediately since they are a hazard to aviation; not to mention it's just rude to stake out a spot hours in advance and then go away.

SMOKING NEEDS TO BE BANNED THROUGHOUT THE GROUNDS. I saw more people smoking this year than I have ever seen in the past at Oshkosh, including one moron smoking right on the flight line. Of course there was no flight line volunteer to be seen, and since the guy in question was big, loud, and obnoxious, and surrounded by several friends, I didn't feel comfortable saying anything to him. If people want/need to smoke, they need to step outside the grounds.

There should be a tram stop by the Fly Market. Move the yellow tram route so it goes around the west side of the D exhibit building and have a stop right at the SW corner, at the entrance to the Fly Market.

I would like to see a caffeine-free, sugar-free soda option. Diet Sierra Mist or diet root beer or something like that. The water trailers were a good idea but the plastic cups were not; a lot of people just dropped them instead of putting them in the trash and they were blowing all over the place. Put drinking fountain attachments on all of the water trailers and skip the cups. A lot of people carry their own water bottles anyway and they can refill from the fountains.

There were several stands with "soft serve ice cream only" lines. I'd like to see some "drinks only" lines as well.

I love the Fly-In Theater but I don't love how they don't start any part of the program until dark. The presenters could start earlier, when it's dark enough to see them on the screen but maybe not dark enough to start the film. Last year we had to watch an interminable film about the Horsemen P-51 team before the movie; at least this year they put it after the movie so those of us who just wanted to watch the feature film didn't have to wait so long. Robert Hays was hilarious and having the cardboard Otto the Autopilot "co-present" was a nice touch.

"Airplane!" should be shown every year.

On Sunday the speakers were taken down as far as old highway 26 by the Hangar Cafe, before the airshow started. So the people sitting at the picnic tables at the Hangar Cafe couldn't hear the commentary. They should have left that speaker up until the end of the airshow.

I love the museum but when they have someone like Dick Rutan speaking I wonder if it wouldn't be better to do that in the Eagle Hangar or the Vette Theater or even a forum pavilion. Having him stand in the middle of the museum meant that a lot of people were walking by and talking when he was speaking, and it was sometimes hard to hear him.

I'd like to see more "vintage-look EAA" items for sale. They made a nice start this year with a few options with the old logo...I'd like to see that expand.

AND BRING BACK THE EISENHOWER JACKETS!!!!
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Fantastic overview by Steve, thanks for posting, couldn't have said it better and agree with all of his points - very well stated! Agree the variety of the afternoon airshow was the best I've seen - so nice to have some variety in the performances. The night airshow was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! Airventure just keeps getting better and better - can't wait until next year!

Really want to echo comments about the need for a tram and bus schedule - especially the Pre/Post tram buses and the N40 campground bus. The North 40 campground bus stopped at 10PM Monday and Tuesday evenings, then ran until 11PM on Wednesday/Thursday, then midnight on Friday/Saturday. Then caught us totally off gaurd when it stopped cold at 5:00PM on Sunday. I had stopped by the N40 registration booth Sunday morning to make sure the bus would run that evening as we didn't leave our campsite until Monday morning. Three workers at the booth confirmed that the bus would run Sunday night until 10PM but it did not.

Can't wait until 2012!

I had an amazingly great time this year, the night airshow goes down as one of the best airshows I've ever witnessed! The forums I attended were great, the traffic in and out was flawless! Everyone was friendly and happy! Overall, I'd say it was the best year I've had at airventure!

My response to the tram & bus schedules: I say EAA reduces the tram and bus schedule to save some money or at least do some advertising to encourage people to walk to their destinations....
    Michael Goetzman - Milwaukee WI
    https://picasaweb.google.com/goetzman

I agree. There seems to be a general smoking regression. There was much more smoking on the flight line than I ever recall seeing in 20 Oshkoshs.
    As to the original posters issue with the North 40, a major problem with traffic is that blasted gate by the Hilton which has always been a problem even back before the Hilton was there.
    It's one of the only after hours vehicle access points to the grounds which makes the North40 road a thoroughfare all night long.
    I do take issue with him thinking that the North 40 bus is somehow the property of the GAP/GAC people. No more so than us down in Vintage keeping you off the blue trams/south40 bus.

Smoking: Yes, there was more this year! I even had to tell a few people in the N40 camping to stop smoking. There were a couple of yahoo's who were smoking cigars and went back to it after I left (I could see them). I told both of my chairpeople , but both were like "meh". grrr.

Perhaps the "meh" reaction is that smoking in campsites is not against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Because there are basically three seasons in Wisconsin: Summer (Late June-August), "Bearable" (maybe two-three weeks on either side of summer) and a winter that will remind one of the innermost circle of Dante's description of hell.
    As I posted on another web site: every year, I can't wait to get to Oshkosh. Then I'm glad to be there. 'Round about Friday, I wonder what I was thinking. As soon as I get home on Sunday or Monday, I can't wait to go back...

At least the mosquitoes that are big enough to have tail numbers didn't seem to be out in force this year.

I purchased my airplane in Wisconsin in February. I found the place so depressing I wondered if they had to put prozac in the water supply (though it might explain the proliferation of bars all over the place).
    They appear to have four seasons, three of which are called winter.