Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oshkosh 2012 Noobie

Hi There, and welcome! It's been some time since I camped in the north 40 since I drive these days, but I have camped at the convention many times. As others have stated, know the NOTAM. It's not rocket science, just critical. Be prepared to divert to Appleton or Fon du Lac and use the bus service, should the field be full. It does happen... cash will get you most anything you need. I'd suggest whatever basic camping gear you can fit... tent, chairs, sleeping bags, flashlight / camp light / lantern. An air mattress will float and keep your bedding dry(er). You may wonder how I know that.... Absolutely believe everone's warnings about the range of weather to expect. Some years, heat stroke is an issue on the grounds. One year, I woke up with frost on the inside of the tent. One year, and one year only, there wasn't a deluge. Some sort of table, however small, is nice if you will eat at the plane. That starts getting complicated, though. A cooler is a very good idea for a cold beverage after the show. There are several entirely acceptable eateries within walking distance, however I believe the WalMart mentioned elsewhere has been closed for several years. If you are a coffee person, the ability to heat water is good as getting coffee first thing in the morning can be less than convenient. Long-life munchies, like granola bars, are handy to have around. A water bottle. Back pack. Flip-flops for the showers. A Zodiac is good, but a canoe will do. just kidding there, but shoes you don't mind getting muddy is a biggie. Likewise, an old bath mat makes a great door mat and helps keep the tent clean and dry.

I do use a gear list, but it evolves continuously. For example, we used to do a lot of cooking in the campground. These days, we'd rather soak up some airconditioning and let someone else do the work and clean-up.

The Wal-Mart is not within walking distance -- it's up Hwy 41 at the next exit. However, there is a Target that is more or less within walking distance. Having said that it's probalby easier just to get one of the volunteers with a Gator to drive you to one of the Camp Scholler camp stores to get anything you might need.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Usually one shopping trip to Target or the Pick-n-Save next door is all we do for the week long visit. Those stores are at least a half mile from the N40 gate plus the distance to your campsite. Point is - bring everything with you in the plane.

2 more options if you are space limited:1. Mail stuff to yourself at Osh-- details on how to do this are on the AirVenture website 2. Find someone who is driving and have them haul it for you
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!