Thread: Oshkosh 2012 Noobie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oshkosh 2012 Noobie

Hey!Last week I just obtained my instrument rating in the MEL, and to reward myself I am coming to Oshkosh. Other than the information on the EAA website is there any other personal info from veterans of the fly-in. I'm camping with the plane in the North 40 and it will either be a Piper Archer or Beech Dutchess. I want to fly it IFR but am thinking of going to VFR once into WI to get the FULL EXPERIENCE. I plan on staying Thursday thru Sunday. What should I bring for camping, food, and for the actual event? Does any one use a gear list? Any help or Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Even if you file IFR, you're still going to be arriving VFR.

What should I bring for camping, food, and for the actual event?
    Lots of money, sunscreen, plenty of water, good walking shoes and a tent that has been doubly waterproofed and can tolerate high winds. Earplugs also help when it comes time for the kerosene cowboys to do their stuff down at the flight line as well as for calling it a night earlier than everyone else.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Even if you file IFR, you're still going to be arriving VFR.
    Not exactly true IAW the AirVenture NOTAM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

If the field is IFR, you'll get a rather standard IFR arrival. If the field is open to VFR traffic, you're most likely going to be vectored for a straight in to 27 and you'll be sequenced in between the train of VFR arrivals coming around a tight in right downwind (keep it inside the blue water tank).

You'll need to reserve an arrival slot if coming in IFR. If not Chicago center will harrass you continually about when you are going to cancel IFR for hundreds of miles (they started on us while we were over Lake Michigan, I told them as soon as they routed us back over land, we would).

I usually just go in early enough that the Ripon thing hasn't begun yet. Get a regular VFR or IFR arrival to 36.

Read the notam, understand the notam, follow the notam. That's the key.

Camping with the plane? You'll need a good tent and the weather has been everything from beastly cold (probably not this year) to unbelievable hot. Be ready.
    The state bird of Wisconsin is the mosquito so bring some citronella and bug spray for the evenings. You can count on at least one hellacious gully washer storm during the event, so be prepared for that.

Food is what you want to make of it. Once you're within a couple of days of the show, the on-site food vendors open and you can pig out on brats and chicken or whaatever, or you can bring food to prepare at your camp site as is your inclination. If you are camping in the North 40 (i.e., later than 1970), you can also escape to some close in off-field venues.

It really depends on the day and time. I've flown in ifr expecting to have to cancel, but was able to fly ifr all the way to the green dot.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Congratulations!! What a great way to reward yourself. I have been coming to Oshkosh since 1972! here is a link to our survival guide. http://www.airventure.org/planning/survival_guide.html

You will develop friendships that will last a lifetime. There are several that I only see during the week of Oshkosh AirVenture!

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    What year is your ride? If you can I would recommend parking in Vintage. The evenings in Vintage are priceless.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

What year is your ride? If you can I would recommend parking in Vintage. The evenings in Vintage are priceless.
    "Night you can't remember with friends you'll never forget...."
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Congratulations!!! Enjoy the experience!

I would just bring your essentials & don't worry about every last item. There is a super Wal-Mart that I believe is walking distance from the N 40. Just bring a tent & sleeping bag & flashlights & stuff. There is plenty of food around too, I'd mostly bring easy finger food, & buy supplies once you arrive. I may be up in that 'north 40' this year too.