Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New small airplane laws may allow owner Owner Maintenance!!!

New small airplane laws may allow owner Owner Maintenance!!!

Long time reader, never posted before. I saw this on another message board – after reading it I am really excited and had to post it! I attached the file to this post, hopefully it works.

Evidently there is an FAA group rewriting the small aircraft laws. Looks like there has been a proposal made to allow people to maintain their own airplanes. The jist of it is that if you have an airplane that could be considered “noncommercial use” you could treat just as if it were a homebuilt.

The cost savings on this would be HUGE!!!!

I am not sure who made this suggestion, but it seems to go right along with the medical idea EAA is working. If this is EAA, I really applaud them – between the medical issues and this someone is finally working to make things better in the GA world. Great Job EAA!!!!!!!!!! (or whomever is doing this!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not entirely sure that it's a good idea- have seen too many pilots whose mechanical knowledge is (in generous terms) extremely limited at best

I like it alot. It is well written and well thought out - and it gives people the freedom to choose which direction they want to go.

In terms of laws and regulation, there is quite a gap between what makes good regulation and what is a good idea. I will suggest that we should err on the side of less regulation rather than more. EAA is a great umbrella for folks to learn the info and the skills to work up to a high standard. If you have not noticed, folks who bring poor attitude and poor skills to aviation are not deterred by the current regulations in any field of endevour, not just aviation. Since most of us try to do better, increased regulation only makes it harder on the 90% who try to do a good job since it generally only translates into more paperwork and labor hours doing that paperwork. That is what is killing recreational aviation today. Easier to own a boat.

The gotcha will be how an airplane that has been owner maintained can be brought back from that status. Many airplanes can be used for flight training and other commercial purposes today. Will taking the airplane into owner maintained status lower its $$ value for resale? That might deter a lot of Cessna/Piper/Mooney owners right there.

Guess we will stay tuned.

Wes
    N78PS

I can't open that attachment for some reason (Mac ?).
    Can you provide a web link if possible?
    thanks
    Bill

Welcome to ideas that have both great and lousy aspects to them. In other words, it depends upon which pilots decide to take which route.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

repost

I tried to repost the file - Being new here I am not sure if I am doing it right. Unfortunately I can;t point you to a webpage because this actually came off a Beech mail list I am on.

It does talk about returning to normal category. I am not sure about all the terminolgy but here is a cut paste from it:

Conversion back to Normal Category
    Aircraft operated in the Non Commercial (TC) class would be dual certificated in both the standard and noncommercial classes, as is common place for Restricted Category aircraft.
    Aircraft in the Non-Commercial (TC) category can be operated in the Standard category, provided the aircraftreasonably meets it type design data including compliance with all ADs, removal of all Non PMA / TSO parts andreplacement with certified units and the removal of all non-certified alterations
    The conversion can be accomplished by an IA mechanic with a complete and thorough annual inspection and logbook audit. Upon successful completion the aircraft could be operated under it’s Standard Airworthiness Certificate.
    The Procedure is very common with Restricted Category aircraft and has proven both safe and successful.

Not sure what the heck a restricted category airplane is - but looks like this would be just an annual and catching up with ADs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am seeing where this could be a huge benefit to owners that are capable of maintaining their own aircraft. The down side is I know owners that think they are capable but have no business with tools of any kind. For those, the time between condition inspections could prove hazardous.

Don't think there is a regulation that defines capability of an owner but at least with AB there is a learning curve during the build.

I would still have an AP mechanic do my work, but it sure would be nice to have the option to use the less expensive non-certified parts. It would also be neat to be able to retrofit my Cherokee with a Dynon SkyView system, but under current regulations it is not allowed.

Thanks Beechboy, that second attachment try doesn't work either. Might be something in my computer only if others are able to read it, my message says "file damaged".

I can read it somewhere else. No hurry.