Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel Mystery Oil?

The Camguard guys talk some interesting stuff. But as far as being "tested and verified by science" I have never seen any reports of any large scale unbiased factual testing like I described above. Nothing more than they tried it in an few engines and it seemed to work ok.
    Marty if you have results of any such real testing, how about posting it here for us to see.

Aviation Consumer likes Camguard, but again no big test results. It is expensive stuff. Marvel is fairly cheap and has been used for so many decades by so many operators that it probably doesn't harm an engine and may well do some good especially in the big radials.
    The main engine overhaulers that I spoke to didn't seem to be even aware of camguard. My overhauler did suggest that I use it in my Cont TSIO 520-UB to combat valve stem wear.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-31-2012 at 08:54 AM.

There is nothing as good for increasing engine life as early oil changes, It has been proven that the additive package in the oil is pretty much gone away in 15-20 hours.
    Our old engines were designed to run clean pure single weight oil. with basically no additives, and when you start pouring additives in, you are simply waisting money by over dosing the engine. The oils that comply with the Lycoming snake oil additive have chemical polishing agents that in fact shorten the friction clutches in most Continental engines like the 0-200 key start and all the engines with a side way mounted starters 0-300-D thru 0-520 all have friction clutch starters.

I'm with Marty on this,, clean, single weight, AD oil, and change it early.

Hey Guys,
    Couple things to add. One ingredient left off of the MMO list is Tricresyl Phosphate, it does contain it. Also I have heard people say that " its just mineral oil", well there are many types of "mineral oil" and they each behave differently. From a purely technical standpoint, MMO does have some benefits running in an engine, both fuel and oil. As someone that works in engine design, I would never hesitate to use MMO as perscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
    Bill Greenwood - you pretty much nailed it. To some it's snake oil, to others it's magic oil. To me it's a pretty good oil thinner & sluge loosener on some engines immediately prior to oil change. It's an ok penetrating oil too. Except for what I just listed, I don't use it in my fuel or oil. Today's oils are very well formulated and far superior to what was available back in WWII. I agressively lean my long time since overhaul O-300 during taxi and flight and I don't have any problems with buildup/leading with 100LL. Same for the other old low compression engines I've flown.

Flyinriki - Instead of going to wherever you cut & pasted your posts, take a look at the MSDS - it lists the type of dichlorobenzene.

martymayes - the MSDS lists p-dichlorobenzene (1,4 dichlorobenzene). I'm just going with what is listed there.
    Yeah: "...used as a pesticide and a deodorant, most familiarly in mothballs"..... just what I want in my engine.....! Oh wait...it has wintergreen in it. Gee that makes it much more effective.....for..... at least it'll smell nice.
    Last edited by flyingriki; 03-31-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Yeah: "...used as a pesticide and a deodorant, most familiarly in mothballs"..... just what I want in my engine.....! Oh wait...it has wintergreen in it. Gee that makes it much more effective.....for..... at least it'll smell nice.
    actually oil of wintergreen is a very good penetrating oil.

My daughter designs builds and installed spectrograph machines of the free electron type. I sent here a sample of MMM, and asked her to run it and tell me what was in it. her answer, a light distillate oil, i.e. diesel or solvent, red dye, and oil of wintergreen.

Tom Downey

This message is hidden because Tom Downey is on your ignore list.

View Post

L
    ove this function!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Tom Downey

This message is hidden because Tom Downey is on your ignore list.

View Post

L
    ove this function!

ignoring input, is not the way to learn.

Why is it when discussions like this come up, they are always filled with more emotion than facts? Flyingriki, if you are scared of the ingredients that make up MMO, I suggest you never go near an engine.....ever. There are far worse things in your fuel and oil. I look at it this way, unless someone has some valid testing to support their opinion, it isnt worth anything. So how many people here posting one way or another, have actually taken the time to investigate MMO in either lab or running engine testing? Im betting far fewer than how many are passionately posting about it.

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    flyingriki - you really need to fall back and do some internal evaluation and self-auditing. You haven't the courage to list your experience or background in your "about me" in your profile yet you have a propensity to make crass and degrading posts like you know what you're talking about...which, judging from your posts, you certainly do not. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, then I think most of us would prefer that you don't contribute at all.
    Last edited by Max Torque; 04-01-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

According to the MSDS, MMO contains mineral spirits, not mineral oil. Mineral spirits is a solvent. MMO still claim the actual ingredients remain a "mystery" ya, right. Modern chemistry is stumped by this product..lol.

MMO has a boiling point of ~170F (depending on which MSDS is correct) so dilute your engine oil with MMO and what happens? When the engine reaches normal operating temperatures, MMO boils off and is gone. Probably leaves some residual trace contamination in the oil. So when one hears a claim that MMO provides long term engine protection between oil changes (and the reality suggests it exits the engine breather or exhaust pipe in the first 15 min. of engine operation), some skepticism about that claim may be warranted. Perhaps another marvelous "mystery" ingredient suspends the laws of physics.....? I dunno.

Another issue, MMO flash point is close to kerosene. So mixed in with fuel at the ratio of 1-2 oz per gallon, or roughly 100:1, perhaps slows down the combustion process by 1/1,000,000 of a second? That makes the engine run noticeable smoother, cooler, more power, etc.? Really? And since it quickly burns up during the combustion process, not sure what hangs around to "lubricate" upper cylinder components. Seems like whatever function MMO claims to provide as a fuel additive could be duplicated close enough with kerosene or diesel. Regulating bodies will classify it as fuel contamination but what the hey.

The credibility of 99% of MMO testimonials rank right up there with the urban legend about the car with a 50mpg carburetor. We wanna believe it's true......and it's tough getting through the initial denial stage. Kinda like when reality convinces a kid the easter bunny, tooth fairy and santa clause are not real even though his parents perpetuated this myth for the first several yrs of his life. It's tough to let go.
    Last edited by martymayes; 04-01-2012 at 01:17 PM.