Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Heck Id skip for joy to write that! Someone can do the same for composites, metalworking, woodworking, wiring and such. Just keep out the politics, the corporate funding and get back to real engineering.
    Then let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Well, let's get back to that then.
    I agree with what Aaron said, the editors of SA intentionally got away from that. Is it possible that their vision for the magazine doesn't align with yours?

Maybe its the whole direction EAA wants to take, not just SA? So a dumb question, if another organization formed that was what EAA used to be, how many would "jump ship"? Not saying it would happen, or already hasnt to some extent. I would just hate to see the organization lose sight of the core group that got them where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I agree with what Aaron said, the editors of SA intentionally got away from that. Is it possible that their vision for the magazine doesn't align with yours?
    Well, then you write the information and put it out there publicly through alternative means. Either what matters is the educational aspect or exercising some sort of control beyond that...personally I think the former is the more important here.

Previous posts are pretty much right - Sport Aviation is becoming Flying Magazine. I'm tired of reading about $150,000 "homebuilts". EAA has gone to chasing the dollar, thats why the big influx of non-aviation corporate types at HQ. I think Paul P. saw this change after he stepped down. Tom got wrapped up in the "business" end of EAA, while Paul realized why it came to being in the first place - people who couldn't afford factory planes and took to homebuilding as a result. Airventure now has a county fair feel. It's all about people through the gates. If this is the change EAA is looking for, I think people will vote with their feet. Quite frankly, I enjoyed Oshkosh a lot more years ago when the crowds were smaller, Camp Schoeller wasn't a zoo, "metros" prevailed. It was a different atmosphere. Unfortunately, not all change is for the good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Maybe its the whole direction EAA wants to take, not just SA? So a dumb question, if another organization formed that was what EAA used to be, how many would "jump ship"?
    I'll hold out for an long time and would have to grow really frustrated before I "jump ship" because EAA is more than a monthly magazine. I'm just a little surprised that "how to fly articles" dominate "Sport Aviaition" now, at least six entries per month under the "Better Pilot" heading. Seriously, do those articles appeal to reader majority?
    Last edited by martymayes; 08-09-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    - Sport Aviation is becoming Flying Magazine.
    Ya, just look at the masthead.

I'm tired of reading about $150,000 "homebuilts".
    LOL *pushes design he is working on out of line of sight before speaking* At least I'm taking the time to design my own.

I'm just a little surprised that "how to fly articles" dominate "Sport Aviaition" now, at least six entries per month under the "Better Pilot" heading. Seriously, do those articles appeal to reader majority?
    One would assume so. We are pilots after all and there are more non-builders in the EAA than the builders. Given the number of us dying every year in crashes, no effort to educate folks how not to wind up another smoking hole should be viewed as a bad idea. I do agree that there is a definite money-making mindset in a lot of the things that the EAA is doing but then again that money helps fund the things that are making what I want to do as a designer, builder and pilot possible. My view might be different if I were content with a Pietenpol or something of that ilk, but it is what it is.

I agree that Sport Aviation is a top notch publication. Like many others, I receive several publications every month... I look forward to Sport Aviation the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    ...if another organization formed that was what EAA used to be, how many would "jump ship"?...
    Paul tried that a few years ago with the Sport Aviation Association. It was a side organization that was supposed to be like the early days of EAA. They organized a couple of fly-ins, but it never gained critical mass. Personally, I didn't hear about it until it was too late. The Wayback Machine has several versions of their web site.

This may need to be migrated over to the Homebuilders section here instead of on a discussion on the magazine, but did anyone else to go to the Homebuilder's dinner this year? Paul commented that he would like to see homebuilders get organized like the Vintage and Warbirds groups are. He commented that homebuilders don't have their own magazine like the others.

My opinion is that the building process often isn't a very social process. That makes it difficult to develop a culture that promotes group activities.