Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Thanks Neil, you make a lot of sense. I think they are doing a great job with the magazine, the photography is fantastic!
    I really like FiFi on the latest cover. As a scratch builder I know how much heart and soul and ton of gumption it takes to really "build" a airplane. We put years of time and effort into our projects. I think a lot of builders deserve more than a tiny picture with a one paragraph write up. We do need the political force that the EAA has. I have a Sport Aviation collection that starts from the first issue. I like to randomly pull a oldie out every now and then. I also have some EAA aircraft design books published in Hales Corner Wis. They are great. The online videos that the EAA has are good.
    I'm having a easier time accepting the change now. Thanks for the input from all of you.

Steve, I agree, SA isn't what I'm interested in any more. I quit taking FLYING magazine in the mid-70's because I got bored reading about aircraft and avionics I couldn't afford. Lately SA has been FLYING with a different title. I expect that to accelerate under the ex-FLYING honcho running it now. If they'd make SA a "delete option" and let me buy a few more gallons of avgas with the savings, I'd dump it in a heartbeat in favor of the website offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Lately SA has been FLYING with a different title.
    Really??? I don't see this at all. I, too, dropped Flying years ago because of all the expensive avionics and jet articles, but SA has SO much more to offer, and doesn't deserve the flak it's taking. Sure there are articles about 182's and such, but there are also GREAT articles on how-to's, and maintenance, and technical engine articles, as well as the tried and true "What our members are building" section-*which I do agree can be expanded*. I think they are doing a great job of spreading the interests of the membership over the scope of the magazine.

Flying with a different title??? Nah, it's different magazine with a BETTER title.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

i think we have now entered the tweetch zone. to each, his own. no sweat. your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Steve, I agree, SA isn't what I'm interested in any more. I quit taking FLYING magazine in the mid-70's because I got bored reading about aircraft and avionics I couldn't afford. Lately SA has been FLYING with a different title. I expect that to accelerate under the ex-FLYING honcho running it now.
    Who is the ex-FLYING honcho you are referring to? EAA did hire two columnists that used to write for FLYING but the Editor of Sport Aviation has not changed.

Love it or hate it, the latest issue (Aug.) of Sport Aviation pretty much slammed the door on the homebuilding segment of EAA. The EAA was built as a low cost & creative alternative to laying out large sums of cash for something ready-built. EAA still has something for all of us, but much as it is owed, experimental homebuilt is not where the money is. Those of you who love the glossy picture book SA now is, probably just never experienced the passion with which early members devoured each issue of the member-produced magazine. If, like me, you no longer care to receive Sport Aviation, join (or renew) Vintage or IAC divisions with basic EAA membership & save $20 to $30 dollars. I hate that it has come to this, but that's the reality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McMains View Post
    Love it or hate it, the latest issue (Aug.) of Sport Aviation pretty much slammed the door on the homebuilding segment of EAA. The EAA was built as a low cost & creative alternative to laying out large sums of cash for something ready-built. EAA still has something for all of us, but much as it is owed, experimental homebuilt is not where the money is.
    Not really relevant to the magazine context, but to echo Mike's comment above, I found it interesting that the majority (OK, quite a few) of the homebuilt awards went to Lancairs with turbines in them. That's a whole different animal than the types that were front and center in the earlier days of EAA.

As far as I can see 2 of 32 awards were given to turbine Lancairs, and neither of them were the top ranking awards: http://www.airventure.org/news/2011/110731_awards.html

Hi, Adam;

Well, I'll gladly concede, since I don't have data to back up anything I say. I was present in the Homebuilder's Hangar when the awards were presented (with photos of the winners), and I could've sworn that I saw more PT-6 style exhaust stacks than just two. Of course, I have no idea as to the various Lancair models, so from the text description in the awards listing, I'm at a loss.

I'll just stand down for now. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fareed Guyot View Post
    Who is the ex-FLYING honcho you are referring to? EAA did hire two columnists that used to write for FLYING but the Editor of Sport Aviation has not changed.
    I stand corrected, with apologies to Mary Jones. I misunderstood the PR release:

http://www.eaa.org/media/pr/2010/201..._mcclellan.asp

There is a big difference between "Publications Director and Editor" and "Editor-at-Large". From the look of recent SA issues and the patter on the boards (http://www.oshkosh365.org/ok365_Disc...5&topicid=5475) there is a lot of perceived FLYING-ification. "Mc Clellan said his focus will be "conventional" airplanes (factory built). He mentioned specifically how the Cessna Citation and the Gulfstream 650 have new features to write about." Last I looked, those aren't homebuilts, vintage, or warbirds. Oh, wait a minute, the Navy has flown some T47's!