Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Aviation Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I wonder if the current electronic version could be issued in an e-book format instead of the email format that requires you to click to read the full article or get more information? I'm sure there would be complaints from people still using their Coleco computer with a dial up modem, but I think the Kindle/Nook/PDF group might like it.
    I would like to see that. I get hundreds of emails per day, I usually forget I got the experimenter email by the time I have time to look at it, if it was available in pdf format I would download it to read later.

Steve, with the way you sit around and find snide little retorts to people's opinions, I doubt any submitted article would make it to publication after you tore it apart.
    Oddly enough, I am a reviewer for several magazines (none related to flying just for the sake of clarification) and about 90% of articles pass with only minor revisions for things like grammar, sentence structure, etc.
    Just keep sitting around and telling everyone how wrong we are...you seem to have that down pat.
    Disagreeing with your views on a magazine is not the same as thinking you are wrong on technical matters. It's no different than my disagreeing with my colleagues on politics or religion (I'm a Jew....so I'm almost always in the minority when it comes to social situations which is why I don't bring it up) but can still agree with them on things related to work. I think you guys are being overly harsh on the magazine. That's all. Welcome to creative friction. If we all have to march in lock step to get along, we can kiss any progress on this or anything goodbye.

By the way, does Mac give you a stipend for every retort?
    You mean MacClellan or however you spell his name? Actually, I have never met him nor talked to him. Thanks for being just as snide and sarcastic as you accuse me of being. I am not purposefully trying to be sarcastic. It's just a rather blunt way of stating something that is said without the benefit of tone of voice or body language being taken out of context.

As Paul mentioned at this year's Homebuilder's Dinner, he would like to see a homebuilder's magazine again. As we've seen in the past, there wasn't enough interest to keep Expementer going the way Warbirds and Vintage groups do for their magazines.
    Then let's stop bickering and complaining and do it. As someone pointed out, there's enough experience and knowledge just in the handful of us on this thread alone to fill a magazine.

Well, this is interesting...According to the EAA ChapterGram that came out a couple hours ago, Mac McClellan is now the Director of EAA Publications.

Well, this is interesting...According to the EAA ChapterGram that came out a couple hours ago, Mac McClellan is now the Director of EAA Publications.
    the definitive end of Sport Aviation as we have known it. expect more generic articles about stuff available in any issue of AOPA Pilot, Business and Commercial Aviation, Flying, Professional Pilot, Rotor and Wing, Private Pilot, the Controller, Pacific Flyer, etc, etc, and less stuff about what built this franchise. farewell, Mr. Poberezny, elder and younger. the death knell of homebuilt experimental aviation exceptionalism? perhaps. but remember - kitplanes.com

"I've tried to get in touch with the SA folks about writing but never seem to be able to get in touch with anyone."

yeah, i submitted an article once. learned my lesson from that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    yeah, i submitted an article once. learned my lesson from that.
    Freshman year of college we were required to write & send a letter to the editor. Mine was printed in a major publication - heavily edited. (Edited enough it made me look like an idiot)

Never again...

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    the definitive end of Sport Aviation as we have known it. expect more generic articles about stuff......
    I'm on the edge of my seat anticipating the second installment of "How to fly VFR with an iPad."

What the heck happened to Mary Jones?
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Mary Jones here … alive and well. Thanks for asking. I’m still around; just have a new title of Executive Editor at this time. The title switch is essentially related to "corporate structure" stuff.

While we (the entire Pubs team) don’t necessarily have time to regularly monitor all the forum threads, we definitely check in on this thread frequently, so be assured we're reading and hearing your thoughts and opinions. Combined with our monthly survey of members regarding the magazine, we get a lot of input to consider.

Beyond that, the Pubs teams doesn't necessarily monitor every forum thread continuously, but Hal Bryan, EAA's social media manager, monitors all the forum posts and keeps us aware of the various conversations taking place. So, again, know you're being read and "heard."

Thanks to all for being caring EAA members.

Mary,
    I appreciate you checking in on this forum. I would like to ask... Where is SA heading? While it retains some of the content that I came to expect from SA, at the same time, the content seems more generic. There are less and less articles that focus in on projects and completed aircraft. I read Flying and AOPA pilot. I'm seeing the content in those magazines now mirrored in SA. Is that the direction that the Pubs team wants to lead SA in? It disappoints me that we, IMHO, are drifting away from what made SA THE magazine for the EAA member. Accident recaps, columnists that have nothing to do with homebuilding, and how to fly articles are not what I want to see in SA. I can get those from other aviation based journals. I maintain my membership to read about what's being built, the stories behind those aircraft. I read to learn about aircraft that do not get covered in other magazines. I don't want to read about topics already covered ad nausea m in other journals. Can we please consider that the evolution that you mentioned is not so much an evolution, but rather a regression that is blurring the lines between SA and magazines like Flying? Please....bring back SA.
    Dave