Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

I have used an iPAD for about a year with Wingx Pro7, JeppTC & JeppFD. I found that the iPAD does a great job but is too large to use comfortably even in my Bonanza.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7Plus which fits nicely on the control wheel. Since I have a subscription for WingX, they also allow you to run it on the Galaxy Tab. I use it for approach plates and since I also have a subscription with Seattle Avionics for georeferenced plates on the iPAD, they also let you use it on the Galaxy Tab. Great products. I am told that Hilton Software is in the process of upgrading their program to the WingX pro7 status for the Android Market.

Until then I am using Naviator for the moving map program. It does an excellent job and they keep improving their program.

I now cary the Galaxy Tab everywhere instead of the iPAD. I use it with a T Mobile hot spot so I have speedy 4G service when I am out of range of a Wi-FY connection. Also I can use it with the iPAD or any of my other computers.

Keep up your flying speed: Ed

I have the Galaxy 10.1 32 GB and have naviator. So far I have only flown localy to check it out and it seems to work well. I am planning a trip yo Sun & Fun and have all of the vfr charts for the trip loaded, and the route plotted. It updates TFRs and any other data each time it is booted with internet acces. It can also gather real time data if you include a cellular data access account. The GPS works well. One thing that could use an upgrade in Naviator is that the charts are not stiched together, so as your flight progresses, the next chart needs to be manualy selected. It is easy, but anadditional task. Airport information is pulled up by touching the identifier. Naviator offers a free 30 day trial, with an introductory subscription price of $49.95, although I'm sure that will go up with the digital data changes in April.

Neutral Software for Android Aviation

Hello,

I see some posting that the only software on Android is Avilution but they are terrible mistaken.

http://naviatorapp.com is one of about 4 others available if you search...

Naviator is much more advanced. The route planning with the rubber band style editing and the screen layout for navigational information on the corners works better than Avilutions interface. Avilution puts it all on top of the little airplane icon you can never see because its unchangably white.

Avilution does this crazy thing where in preflight planning it works just great. You will get to the end of the run way to take off and sudden it will demand you log into your Google account to verify you paid this month...

For some weird reason Avioution has to be updated every time the format for METARS changes or the service changes and sometimes the app will just flat out quit on you because of it.
    Naviator just shows you the raw METARS if it can't understand it or nothing if the services protocol changes. Much better than hanging forever, showing a black screen or quiting on you mid-flight.

I've been told that Avilution is using Amazon's store now which means udates take a bout 30 days to work through the system and get out to you the user.. This is probably why Avilution is posting the beta releases on their web age.

Naviator will have NEXRAD in the next few weeks. The developers are said to have something major in the works coming up really soon... Speculation ranges from "synthetic vision" to "single glass" cockpit type stuff but I'm just going to be happy with the weather stuff.

DISCLOSURE: I have an active subscription with Avilution. I purchased WingX (what a waste of money!)

DISCLOSURE: Forgot, I of course have Naviator as well as InFlight from BBFlight LLC. and have tested OpenFlight, Single Glass Aviation and one other that I can't rememberfrom Germany. I use only Avilution and Naviator now. I use Avilution for weather and Naviator for navigation during short flights.

I use a stopwatch and a paper map for anything longer than two hours in addition to a garmin. So should you. If you read the disclaimers you'd realize all this software, even for the iPaddies is all toy and no pro!

Sorry, the link is http://www.naviatorapp.com

Looking back at my post you can see from the typos and weird spacing I'm making my comments via my Moto Xoom. I'm at a little strip down here in Georgia waiting for some rain and clouds to pass!

Okay, I see now that AnyWhere maps has an android app also. Guess we have one more to try out and see if it is worthy.
    http://store.controlvision.com/andro...e=General-Info

When I went to the AnywhereMap web site, I was a little turned off at how cluttered/disorganized that the display seemed, but maybe it was the particular device that they did the screen captures on and that I'm more familiar with some of the other products. The screen shots that they had didn't do the application any service really, at least in my opinion.

I did, however, see an article and accompanying video on AvWeb this morning from Paul B. at Sun 'n' Fun, and it puts the product in a lot better light. So far, I like what I see.

http://www.avweb.com/news/snf/SunNFun2012_Anywhere_Map_Multi_Platform_App_206395-1.html

~
    Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

I have a Gallaxy 10.1 running Naviator. and have the annual subscription at $49.95 per year. The app store has a free 30 day trial. It has worked well and is updated each time it is opened with wifi available. The one thing I wish it had is seemles charts. They have announced they are woking in that direction, but at this time it takes two clicks to change charts as you move from one to the next.
    Al

AnywhereMaps looks nice but it doesn't have the whole route planning thing that Avilution and Naviator haved. It looks more like an in flight kind of app. We'll see though. Competition is good!

Naviator is rumored to use the new Mode S Out WiFi receivers on an upcoming release. But then again I've heard from someone else that it has the AHRS WiFi which would be more towards the "single glass" cockpit we are all dreaming of... so we have to keep our eyes open! Exciting times!

snz

Update...
    I have also downloaded AOPA FlyQ and have been looking at the newer Anywhere Map Freedom app.
    I gave up on the Naviator after trying, with 'trying' being the operative word. I could not get it to work worth a darn. Not sure what the problem was. I was on a commercial flight and couldn't get it off the original map at the beginning. Try as I might it was hopeless.
    Has anyone needed an external GPS antenna with the Galaxy?