Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzius View Post
    Will be interesting to see what Mac will do with whats left of the photo and video staff now.
    My guess is he'll send them out to photo the bizjets he'll test fly and review for "Sport" Aviation.

Quote Originally Posted by dewi8095 View Post
    The news release doesn't indicate where the personnel cuts came from or what percentage of total personnel the loss represents. The cuts must have come from administrative, maintenance and service areas.

It looks like a case of worker bees being fired to hire three new VPs. Surely a difficult day for those who were let go.

Don
    News reports indicate the entire e-publication staff has been cut except for one news writer.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    My guess is he'll send them out to photo the bizjets he'll test fly and review for "Sport" Aviation.
    My snarky side says "Why have a photography staff? Gulfstream, TBM, etc. have their own photographers and a vast library of stock photos to provide for advertorial articles they ghost write for the magazine."

But I only think those things, I never write them.

Why e-pubs cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grunloh View Post
    News reports indicate the entire e-publication staff has been cut except for one news writer.
    This is the part that really doesn't make sense to me. E-publishing is the big thing these days and I don't see getting rid of these people. My only guess is that they are going to outsource that work.
    David Reinhart
    ASN Volunteer/KFIT

Quote Originally Posted by wa6ilt View Post
    This is the part that really doesn't make sense to me. E-publishing is the big thing these days and I don't see getting rid of these people. My only guess is that they are going to outsource that work.
    The way printing works these days they have to make that content anyway for the press, print it for the people (like me) that want a paper copy & release a pdf for those that want it electronically. The print ready files are easily converted into pdf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    The way printing works these days they have to make that content anyway for the press, print it for the people (like me) that want a paper copy & release a pdf for those that want it electronically. The print ready files are easily converted into pdf.
    Not for the Experimenter - that is/was non-printed only. Not for the weekly email blasts w/ the latest updates, extracts from these very forums & the like. Not having weekly updates takes us back to "you only hear about something when it's over a month old" and "you only hear about what fits in the printed version" - in large part company press releases.

From the events of this week, I can't say where all that goes, but it doesn't sound good. I for one thought those were great products for keeping us feeling connected and giving us something of value well beyond other mere "magazine subscriptions" I get.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

All of the e-pubs will go on as they have. Pat and I will take care of Experimenter content as we have, and copy edit will go thru pubs, then it will be distributed thru the new digital channel. Experimenter has 27,500 subscribers, and all of the e-newsletters are highly rated, they will continue.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Banned
    Am I the only one that thinks that a massive cut like this is a sign of bad leadership at EAA HQ? Perhaps not Rod's, but maybe Tom's? Obviously somebody went wrong somewhere. I can't see a reason to make a big change like this now unless a big mistake was made in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmutz View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that a massive cut like this is a sign of bad leadership at EAA HQ? Perhaps not Rod's, but maybe Tom's? Obviously somebody went wrong somewhere. I can't see a reason to make a big change like this now unless a big mistake was made in the past.
    No, difference in philosphy is all it takes.

I can't see a reason to make a big change like this now unless a big mistake was made in the past.

OR a series of small decisions that were correct at the time but now limit progress. There's no question the websites need a complete makeover and that digital technologies are changing very fast. Do they hire in new full time help for that work knowing it will change again in a few years or send the work out to experts that can keep up? Pat Panzera has posted elsewhere that the specialty newsletters may become downloadable PDF's with hyperlinks (and perhaps embedded audio and video) which would be a good thing. I don't understand the loss of the photo and video capabilities but would welcome AirVenture videos that had more airplanes in them instead of mostly celebrity interviews (crossing my fingers). I really liked Adam Smith and feel his departure is a big loss for EAA.