Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancellation of AeroPlanner Services for EAA members

I'm such a luddite; still using a sectional, a protractor, scratch paper and a pencil!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    As an active pilot, I don't think I'm alone in bidding Aeroplanner adieu and RIP. It truly was a dated and sloooow flight planning tool. Airnav and RunwayFinder are fine online tools. Additionally, the planning tool in my GPS has served me well for the last 3 years. My $.02
    i've used airnav for years, checked out runwayfinder.com.

here's an example of what i used aeroplanner for. night shift. takeoff from FL30, fly to 2FD3, pickup 600 lbs, fly to FA76, drop 30 lbs, fly to KOPF, refuel, return to 2FD3, drop 570 lbs, then to FL30. how much fuel do i need, can i pick up the fuel and the weight at 2FD3, can i make it from 2FD3 to FA76 unrefueled, will there be enough fuel left at FA76 to reach KOPF with legal reserve fuel, how much must i load at KOPF, can i carry enough to get all the way to FL30 or must i refuel after 2FD3? launch within five minutes of getting the call. GO!

airnav doesn't work well for that, and i can't fig'r out how to do it on runwayfinder.

and Frank said protractor etc. my backup is a string we hung on the wall map with a knot every ten gallons. not very precise.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    I really like navmonster. It gives you weather info And everything else you may want all on one site. Check it out at navmonster.com
    Doesn't exist anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Edgefly,

Why not just use one of the services already out there, free, and proven?

And leave EAA to concentrate on other programs that they already do extremely well - YE, webinars, Hints for Homebuilders, etc, etc.
    I don't agree here. I think the EAA should partner with a proven service to give the membership more value. Flight planning adds great value to the membership. The flight planning tool at AOPA was one of the reasons I used to have that membership but I dropped the membership when they failed to support my point of view so of course I lost access to the planner at the same time. The EAA flight planner worked well enough and was available from any computer I logged in from, but now of course that is no longer available.

Many of those 'free' planners are just that. You get what you pay for. Many of them seem shakey at best (the DUAT and DUATS services at least provide real briefings and do seem to work OK, but are not available unless you install them on the local computer or pay fees).

Like you say, the EAA has a proven track record of making great programs. Flight planning should be another tool that they support.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    the DUAT and DUATS services at least provide real briefings and do seem to work OK, but are not available unless you install them on the local computer or pay fees.
    If you have a medical certificate (there are some special rules for SP I'm not familiar with), both DUAT.com and DUATS.com are available free and without installing any special software on the local computer. Just log on over the web. Perhaps they have added services or a spiffier interface if you install their own access software, but I've never used it. The basic service for each of them has improved slowly but steadily over the years, includes flight planning and TFRs, is very useful, and it's free. I prefer DUATS.com, but either is fine.

That said, I use the flight planner on AOPA.com for quick flight plans, to check routing and distances. I would like to see EAA offer something like that as a member benefit.

I have been a "luddite" for many years, but recently discovered AOPA'a planner and I like the fact that I can print single page "legs" that I can put together into a little trip book....much easier than unfolding and refolding a sectional. Someday I'll pop for an iPad and go paperless!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    That said, I use the flight planner on AOPA.com for quick flight plans, to check routing and distances. I would like to see EAA offer something like that as a member benefit.
    Probably the principal reason that I renew my AOPA membership each year is for continued use of their flight planner. If EAA offered a good flight planner as a member benefit, I could drop my AOPA membeship.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Probably the principal reason that I renew my AOPA membership each year is for continued use of their flight planner. If EAA offered a good flight planner as a member benefit, I could drop my AOPA membeship.
    Here-here.....absolutely!

I detest the AOPA planner. The only thing I can say positive about it is that it's better than the piece of crap one that was a hacked up version of FliteStar they were using before.
    Actually, I purchased a full up subscription to aeroplanner after playing around with the EAA entry level. However, I'll probably let it lapse soon. Most flight planning I do in Foreflight these days. All I tend to use Aeroplanner for is when I'm away from the pad to look up charts.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    All I tend to use Aeroplanner for is when I'm away from the pad to look up charts.
    And there are free tools for that, too, such as SkyVector.com.