Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What constitues a warbird?

Great War(Bird) Replicas

Not to drag this too far afield, but a friend of mine set up a small organization to encourage the building and flying of WW1 replicas: www.greatwaraerodrome.com

He just finished (and has flown) a replica Sopwith Tabloid. The advantage of the tabloid is that it is a side by side aircraft, which he intends to use for orientation and training -- hopefully encouraging people to build and then preparing them to fly their own airplanes. Looking at the aerodrome forum I see that snj5 has already seen pictures.

It is a replica, rather than a reproduction, using steel tubing (and very strong) and a Cub airfoil (very safe)

He wanted to bring it to OSH this year (and park at RFA) but he had to start Army War College that week. Hopefully next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    It is not a matter of if any and how much of the parts have been replaced. It is a question of the origin of the plane.
    And why worry so much about if it is genuine. That only matters so much if you are trying to sell it , like some fine copies of works of art are attempted to be passed off as genuine.
    I agree completely with both of these statements. There's nothing at all wrong with flying anything in national markings - but don't say it's something it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    This was used in the war effort, is it a war bird?
    Tom, if you can document that your specific plane was used in WWII CAP patrols, and you wanted to return it CAP markings, then absolute it is a warbird and should be displayed as such. A larger plane like that might have even carried a depth charge or two, so if you could find drawings of the original mount to fabricate and add dummy depth charges, that would be great.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

If it was a C.A.P. bird, I woud say so as they were a branch off the military machine .................................................. ..

One of the bad things about the Tora replicas back in the day they first were done, some of the airshows were kind of "misleading" and calling them Val's etc and really not mentioning they were replicas, later thy did , but that is one thing that should be emphasized when flying them at shows that they are "replicas" only and not the real deal..........