Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: SOLIDWORKS EAA discount?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2024
    Posts
    2

    SOLIDWORKS EAA discount?

    I am an EAA member and would like to take advantage of the EAA discount for SOLIDWORKS, but I could not find a link or any info on the EAA SOLIDWORKS page, or in my EAA membership confirmation email showing how to purchase and install the discounted subscription? Where can I find the right info? I did watch the video webinar on the subject and it said I should have received a link in my confirmation email.

    Thank you,
    Dale

  2. #2
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,957
    Solidworks ended the EAA deal a couple of years ago. They now have a deal for a web-based package; forget what it's called.

    Edit:"Solid Edge". Look in the forum just above this one.

    Solidworks still sells the educational version (what the EAA deal was for) to veterans for twenty bucks or so a year.

    Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 06-11-2024 at 06:58 PM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2024
    Posts
    2
    Thank you. Seems that the EAA should remove or edit the info here then?
    https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membersh...esource-center

  4. #4
    EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    1,297
    We still have a member discount for SOLIDWORKS, just the terms and package offered changed a couple of years ago. Go here and follow the steps - specifically, step 2:

    3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers | EAA

    Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

  5. #5
    vondeliusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kalispell, MT
    Posts
    41
    There is a huge difference between SolidWorks Desktop and SolidWorks 3DExperience. You SHOULD say 'you have a member discount for 3DExperience'.
    I know the link says 3DEXPERIENCE, but saying just SOLIDWORKS implies Desktop, or at least you need to differentiate, because the 'cloud' version has a significantly lamer
    interface for proper engineering. Removing the educational SolidWorks Desktop benefit for a completely different product was a HUGE downgrade and if you ask me, was
    going along with Dassault's thrust to market their 'cloud' product.
    IMHO.
    -Christian

  6. #6
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,957
    Quote Originally Posted by vondeliusc View Post
    There is a huge difference between SolidWorks Desktop and SolidWorks 3DExperience. You SHOULD say 'you have a member discount for 3DExperience'.
    I know the link says 3DEXPERIENCE, but saying just SOLIDWORKS implies Desktop, or at least you need to differentiate, because the 'cloud' version has a significantly lamer
    interface for proper engineering. Removing the educational SolidWorks Desktop benefit for a completely different product was a HUGE downgrade and if you ask me, was
    going along with Dassault's thrust to market their 'cloud' product.
    IMHO.
    You're probably right, but I'm betting it wasn't EAA's decision. They were probably told to take 3DExperience or leave it.

    My main issue is that I don't believe the Solidworks files I built with the original education package are compatible with 3DExperience....

    Ron Wanttaja

  7. #7
    SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    211
    It seems to me (quite clearly) that SolidWorks is moving towards cloud based subscription products.
    I don't like this because if you for any reason want to stop your subscription, you will end up in a situation where you don't have access to the software, and much more importantly you don't have access to your data - read "your intellectual property".
    Completely unacceptable for me.

    Jeffrey Meyer

  8. #8
    rwanttaja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Meyer View Post
    It seems to me (quite clearly) that SolidWorks is moving towards cloud based subscription products.
    I don't like this because if you for any reason want to stop your subscription, you will end up in a situation where you don't have access to the software, and much more importantly you don't have access to your data - read "your intellectual property".
    Completely unacceptable for me.
    I picked up Alibre's Atom3D, seems like a reasonable alternative. Will load Solidworks files, though they're not editable.

    Ron Wanttaja

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    3
    Try FreeCAD. Download able 3d CAD program. It a pretty good program, plus, it's free. The only downside for me is not great documentation.

  10. #10
    vondeliusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kalispell, MT
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    My main issue is that I don't believe the Solidworks files I built with the original education package are compatible with 3DExperience....

    Ron Wanttaja
    FWIW,
    Titans of CNC offer a complete educational desktop SW through Dassault, not for commercial, for students for $50/yr.
    ToCNC is an educational organization, 'like' EAA.
    -Christian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •