Thread: Obtaining Repairman's Certificate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olympiashorts View Post
    I meet the basic requirements for the Repairman's Certificate as I did 51% of the build of my experimental. I have the documents and photos to support this. I'm about to submit the application to my FSDO but wondered what kind of questions the inspector asks regarding this requirement: "Show to the satisfaction of the Administrator that the individual has the requisite skill to determine whether the aircraft is in a condition for safe operations".
    Just for clarification, whether or not you individually completed 51% of the construction does not determine whether or not you may receive the Repairman's Certificate for your aircraft. The only time 51% enters the registration cycle is in determining if the majority of the aircraft construction was accomplished by amateur (non-professional, unpaid) builders. I noticed in a different thread you used a builder assist program, things get a little fuzzy sometimes with those programs in regard to the 51% amateur build rule but if the FAA has signed off on the program....whatever.

As long as you are a builder of the aircraft (might even be one of the members of an amateur group build or last of a succession of builders) and can demonstrate to the FAA inspector that you have sufficient knowledge to accomplish the Condition Inspection you should qualify for the Repairman's Certificate. Only one certificate can be issued per aircraft regardless of how many builders were involved in the construction.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 10-26-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log