Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Embry Riddle Worth It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a current member of Embry-Riddle. For me it is well worth it but I am not going to school with the ultimate goal of being an airline pilot. As an active duty military member in aviation, Embry has a campus on my base and it is extremely convenient to go to school there.

The degree I am pursuing is professional aeronautics with a minor in technical management, which will assure that I will always have a job in a field that I love or a job somewhere. Lets face it. The FAA is tough and with never knowing what tomorrow brings, things like loosing your medical could have you unemployed and on the street in no time at all if you put all your eggs in the pilot basket.

I think Embry Riddle is a great school but I would seriously consider getting your degree in an aviation related field that the FAA cant take away from you at some point.

I am currently working on my degree with embry and the intent of moving on to their Masters program. Also studying to get my A&P outside of the school environment and starting on my sport pilot license in FEB. all while performing my everyday job as a helicopter rescue crewman and aviation machinist .

Even without being an airline pilot im so involved in aviation that I am pooping feathers and I would recomend a path similar to anyone just so you can move around within the community should you need to for health reasons,job availability, and or location.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hornback View Post
    So I have posted several times on here about colleges and other things of the such. I really like Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, but as many of you know, it is not the cheapest college around by any means. Right now I am looking into professional flight (Pilot) with another degree in possibly engineering or business (The second degree I am not sure on, but I know I want something to fall back on incase the airlines take a turn for the worst.) Back to the point though, I was wondering if ERAU was really worth all of the expenses that come with it. Will going to ERAU increase my chances of getting hired on by an airline? Would ERAU look better than other well known colleges with aviation programs such as University of North Dakota or Purdue? Any advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated!
    Could you give an update on your present position and how things are working out. I would have recommended Univ of North Dakota over Emery Riddle. ER has good acadamic cources but I was not impressed with the flight program. To expensive and local FBO could do as well or possibley better flight training. No direct experiance with U of ND but I have heard many good things.

If his goal is airlines then yes it is good, they are taught to think as an airline pilot. as in not much at all, follow checklists, follow company procedure, call dispatch if anything not on the list happens. if he wants to fly charter or corporate then stay away

It is still best to learn to fly first. Airline procedures are best learned after you know how to fly. Several recent airline incidents support this concept. Colgin Air is just one example.
    Ultralights are the best pilot training tool available for basic flying skills.

So...this goomer should have his BS or BA by now, wherever he ended up. Does that make any more comments to this string...purely academic???

More like post academic I would think.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.