Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Show Announcers

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    That was a recording that is a long standing tradition at Oshkosh, I don't recall the gentleman's name, but it is a recording of his yodeling from many years ago, and is always played over the PA at 7am. Don't like it, don't come to Oshkosh. Same with the helicopters, long standing tradition, like saying don't fly any airplanes because I don't like the noise.
    Didn't mean to step on any traditions, annoying or not. But I think there is a common complaint in this thread about the noise. As mentioned a few of the aerobatic routines were nice to watch especially the ones that were graceful energy management and were not spending time hanging on their prop or blasting the crowd with afterburners.

I did enjoy the show as a whole. I spent my mornings at the Pines lingering over coffee and listening to airplane stories. I was close to the flight line so sometimes I watched the morning arrivals and seen Thursday's mass exit. I had the rest of the day to peruse the planes and exhibits. I didn't spend a lot of time at my plane, but when I did, I listened to lots of old guys tell me their story about when they had a chance to fly a Luscombe back in the day or about the one they are rebuilding. That was worth it. I'll probably come again.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarien View Post
    I listened to lots of old guys tell me their story about when they had a chance to fly a Luscombe back in the day or about the one they are rebuilding. That was worth it. I'll probably come again.
    That's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrexx View Post
    At least we weren't subjected to the 6am departures of the AeroShell T-6 team, proptips supersonic, every morning this year. OTOH, it was extremely annoying that he airshow military jets seemed to take every opportunity to turn their tails to the crowd, cut in the afterburner, and deafen every living soul out to US41. My job on the field will not allow me the luxury of earplugs.
    The only vote you really get is with your feet. Don't like it, do go anymore. I guarantee complaining about it on a chat site is not going to change a thing.

The only vote you really get is with your feet. Don't like it, do go anymore. I guarantee complaining about it on a chat site is not going to change a thing.
    While I disagree with Aviatrexx's post, your response is pretty harsh.

Are you saying that nobody reads this forum? I believe constructive criticism goes a long way in affecting change no matter how it's delivered. I filled out the EAA feedback survey and pointed them to this thread of the forum. There is some good discussion going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarien View Post
    Are you saying that nobody reads this forum? I believe constructive criticism goes a long way in affecting change no matter how it's delivered. I filled out the EAA feedback survey and pointed them to this thread of the forum. There is some good discussion going on here.
    Meh - it's a method. I personally don't think most of the suggestions here have that much merit nor will gain any traction with the EAA even if they do. This forum is tiny and not very active to boot so statistically not relevant in presenting the views of the EAA membership on any particular issue so a handful of posts aren't likely to garner a huge amount of attention with EAA Hq. Heck a lot of the suggestions don't even garner consensus with the small group of posters here. Bottom line is it doesn't hurt to post, but the reality is it will just give folks a place to talk amongst ourselves. YMMV....
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I think the likelihood of a complaint aired in these forums getting action depends on the specificity of the complaint.

First off, understand that FAA staffers *do* read these forums. Some post occasionally. But rarely; when Hal posts, for instance, he's going to be viewed as an official EAA statement on the matter, no matter how much he might claim something is his own personal opinion. EAA legal probably has established some pretty solid restrictions.

If someone posts that "There weren't enough porta-potties in XXXX section," or "Access to the XXXX was poor," I suspect these complaints get forwarded on, for possible action. We won't see a response reflecting that, here, because again, EAA legal doesn't want the rank-and-file types to be committing to action by the corporation.

General policy complaints, though, probably don't go anywhere. None of the EAA folks participating here have a high enough pay grade to mandate those changes. They may bring them up at meetings, but they've got no way to push through any action.

Two types of complaints probably have little chance of success...those which affect the profitability of the event, and those where folks respond by dancing into circles, singing "Tradition!". For better or worse, EAA transitioned the "Annual Convention of the EAA" from a member event to a public airshow. Much of EAA's income comes from the non-flying public coming in to hear the jets roar, want to hear the breathless hyperbole from the announcers, and are willing to pay to swoop about the grounds in a helicopter. Not going to be too much enthusiasm for changing that. Even if there were, it would be a very, very, hazardous undertaking. Massive downsizing would be hard to manage, and the PR kickback from the non-pilot populace could lead to further problems. EAA has this tiger by the tail, and they certainly don't dare turn loose. Won't see any major policy changes.

Again, you may not agree with that. Might I suggest, then, the Brodhead Pietenpol Fly-In, usually scheduled the week before AirVenture. But dollars to navy beans says that as the years go on, some people will press for airshow acts, military fly-overs, better food, special parking areas for RVs, etc....

The "tradition" ones, like the yodeler wake-up call, are hard to fight as well. To some, they DO represent the traditions of the EAA Fly-In, going back to the '60s. So it's hard to get rid of some of these, especially when they don't really cost anything. I'm amused by the complaint about the yodeler, because most of the EAA staffers LIVE in Oshkosh, and thus are snug in their own beds, miles away, when it happens. Doesn't wake THEM up... :-)

Anyway, the FAA forums are a good place to air issues about AirVenture. I'm sure they're heard. But they may not be answered or implemented. Like the famous line from the MASH TV Series..."God answers all prayers. But sometimes, the answer is 'no'."

Ron Wanttaja