Thread: flight test manual and cards = useful for helicopter?

flight test manual and cards = useful for helicopter?

Would the EAA flight test manual and test cards be at all useful for a helicopter?

I’m not a helicopter pilot, so take this with a grain of salt. I would assume most of the test manual and cards would be applicable. Some would probably need some modification. And of course there’s testing you would need to accomplish that’s applicable to rotorcraft and not airplanes. So the manual would most likely give you a good foundation to start with if you have no other references. If you haven’t already, I’d also review the latest version of the FAA’s Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook, AC 90-89C. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_90-89C.pdf
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks! I can build from there. May or may not get EAA document based on what I can learn about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Would the EAA flight test manual and test cards be at all useful for a helicopter?
    Ernie If you want some good test pilot data to develop a test program for helicopters, look at this:

U.S. NAVAL TEST PILOT SCHOOL
    FLIGHT TEST MANUAL
    ROTARY WING STABILITY AND CONTROL

file:///C:/eBooks/AC-USNTPS_FTM_107.pdf

Mirocopter test plan

Quote Originally Posted by polkovnikaviatsii View Post
    Ernie If you want some good test pilot data to develop a test program for helicopters, look at this:

U.S. NAVAL TEST PILOT SCHOOL
    FLIGHT TEST MANUAL
    ROTARY WING STABILITY AND CONTROL

file:///C:/eBooks/AC-USNTPS_FTM_107.pdf
    Thank you. This will help a lot. I have drafted a plan, but will add some of the detail here, and probably several more items.

I have Mirocopter on order (arriving next week) and as I mentioned in another thread (Experimental Exhibition conversion from UL (eaaforums.org)), I want to convert if from UL to Experimental Exhibition. At first glance, I am not too far off in my overall plan. I fully intend to follow it, but I also want to use the test cards, test plan, videos/pictures, etc. as part of my submission with the application. DERs with helicopter knowledge seem in short supply, or my search capability is poor.

Ernie
    Last edited by Ernie; 07-30-2023 at 06:52 PM.

While the EAA flight test manual and test cards are primarily geared towards fixed-wing aircraft, some of the principles and procedures could still be useful for helicopter pilots.