Thread: Hiss in Lightspeed Delta Zulu?

Hiss in Lightspeed Delta Zulu?

Hi, All:

I just got a Lightspeed Delta Zulu, and per the instructions set it up in a quiet place. But when I turned it on, I could hear a soft, persistent hiss. This is in contrast to my AirPods, that, when make things absolutely positively silent.

I asked Lightspeed tech support, and they were ... just a tad ambiguous as to whether this was normal or not - they said try it in the airplane and see how I liked it.

That was a discouraging answer, so I am turning to the experts here. If you have an LS DZ and turn it on in a quiet place, do you hear anything at all?

Thanks for any info,

Mike

"Discouraging answer" indeed! Another way of saying it is "In the airplane, with so much other noise, that little hiss will be masked out". And they're correct. And they have a bunch of bad circuit boards out in our hands. I have a set of LS Zulu's, and recently it developed a low-level zzzzzz in one side. (BTW, zzzzz is not exactly the same as sssss, but similar as far as electronic failure is concerned. Neither are the same as a low-frequency "hmmmm", which is a grounding issue.)

Your speakers are not creating the noise, just telling you the bad news. The bad news is: modern small circuit boards are built with micro-components, that are not replaceable by any but the most well-equipped shops. And that R&R cost is completely prohibitive for this level of product. Lightspeed would just replace the whole electronic unit, if they still stock them.

Since I can't hear the problem in cruise, I'm just living with it. Problem is unlikely to get worse until the unit goes out altogether.