Thread: wing height

wing height

I would like to build a storage deck about 6-8 ft wide, on one side wall of my Hangor that would be high enough for the wing of a high wing plane to fit under. It will be supported from the side wall and ceiling. I have a low wing plane now but that may change. The ceiling height is 15 ft., so I should have plenty of room (and I am only 5'6" tall). Would someone please provide me with the wing tip height above ground of a Cessna 206 or 182 or similar sized plane? I have looked everywhere on the internet and I can only find the overall height at the tail.I would like to build a storage deck about 6-8 ft wide, on one side wall of my Hangor that would be high enough for the wing of a high wing plane to fit under. It will be supported from the side wall and ceiling. I have a low wing plane now but that may change. The ceiling height is 15 ft., so I should have plenty of room (and I am only 5'6" tall). Would someone please provide me with the wing tip height above ground of a Cessna 206 or 182 or similar sized plane? I have looked everywhere on the internet and I can only find the overall height at the tail.

At 6' tall, the tip of Cessna wings allow me to see under the wing a little, so I'd allow at least 7', maybe a tad more, but since you're at an airport, there should be plenty of Cessnas nearby that you could measure, remembering to allow a margin for error, and perhaps checking several different ones if you can.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    At 6' tall, the tip of Cessna wings allow me to see under the wing a little, so I'd allow at least 7', maybe a tad more, but since you're at an airport, there should be plenty of Cessnas nearby that you could measure, remembering to allow a margin for error, and perhaps checking several different ones if you can.
    You might also consider how high the wingtip goes if the opposite tires goes flat. And while you're at it, consider how high you can lift that wing to change a flat tire.
    So many things to think about.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Excellent points, Mel...

Larry N.