Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time visitor-some questions

First time visitor-some questions

Hi we will be visiting from England for the first time this year after years of saying we will attend. We will drive up from O'hare on the first saturday morning and are staying at UWO until the following Friday. Everything is booked and we can not wait, but have a few niggling questions?

First how do you find out about things like the type mass arrivals, Bonanzas etc? Saw some photos of hot air balloons from last year, how do you find out if/when they will be inflated? Is timings etc well advertised?

We would like to visit the Basler facility, does this need to be booked or can we just turn up?

Being from the UK our wristbands will not be mailed to us. Plan on the first day (Saturday pm) is to visit the museum, can we pick them up there?

On the Sat/Sun before the opening is there any catering onsite so we can get lunch?

I think thats it for now, any help appreciated.

Rob

Here's some answers:

Mass arrivals - the dates and times will be published here at some point: EAA AirVenture News & Multimedia | EAA AirVenture Oshkosh However, someone that's actually involved might know already and post them before EAA does.

Hot Air balloon inflation -- no idea. If they post them, they may be on the news site I linked above or perhaps on the main schedule site: EAA AirVenture Events | EAA AirVenture Oshkosh

For Basler, are you talking Basler Flight Services, the FBO there at Wittman Field? If so, you can just show up during business hours. If you're talking Basler Turbo Conversions, it's not on the airport (at least their offices aren't) so best to contact them directly off their website.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you'll need to swing by the main gate to the admission widows to get your wrist bands. I don't think that you can do that at the Museum.

In the past, only a handful of the food places on the grounds are open on that first weekend, and those that were typically had a limited menu. But the food options are improving every year and last year saw the addition of a number of food trucks, so who knows what might be available this year. You can Uber/Lyft to places off the airport and the shuttles should be running that can take you to places around the perimeter where you can walk through the fence line to off airport restaurants like Friar Tucks.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 05-10-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Howdy, and welcome!
    I believe the tentative plan is for two mass arrivals Saturday and one Sunday, but as with all things aviation, is subject to change primarily due to weather.
    As previously mentioned, limited food should be available on field, and if the busses are running or you like walking, you can get to Friar Tuck's through a gate in the fence on the north side of the airport.
    Basler Turbo Conversions is on the field, but on the east side, across the runway from the convention grounds. Basler, like all the area restaurants, are an Uber ride away. Drivers come from surrounding states to service the convention goers.
    I did get a tour of Basler's facility once with a small group during a pre-convention work party. We just showed up and asked if it was possible to get a look at their operation and they obliged. It was quite fascinating and educational and perhaps the highlight of the weekend. However, I wouldn't be optimistic about that being available during convention week. I would suggest calling them in advance to see what might be available.
    Again, welcome! You will have a blast!

One can pickup their wristbands at the main gate on Saturday and Sunday but they operate with a limited staff and I believe shortened hours. Ya definitely don’t want to wait until Monday morning. As for the balloon activity you can always go down to the UL area and ask….someone will know or reach out to EAA staff. Obviously such events are weather dependent and sometimes get rescheduled or even cancelled.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I am a tram conductor. IF....and anything AirVenture related pre-event starts with that IF -lol- we operate similar to past years, the trams will be partially operational Saturday and Sunday before opening day. The Yellow tram route center area (display hangars and vendor exhibit spaces) does not operate to allow the vendors use of all the roadways for set up. We do run the Northern (Red-Purple)and Southern Blue trams. Full tram operations start Monday morning.

Subject to any new changes put in place for 2023. Our formal tram orientation meeting happens Saturday morning during which we learn of any changes to routes or procedures.

And like everyone else I can hardly wait.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait to see the mass arrivals. Am tempted to just dive in on the Saturday and watch the arrivals and leave the museum until Thursday? I was talking about the Basler DC-3 facility but now i can see its almost off airport it is something I will try and arrange with them?
    can't wait to be there.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robbelc View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait to see the mass arrivals. Am tempted to just dive in on the Saturday and watch the arrivals and leave the museum until Thursday?
    Rob
    That sounds pretty solid. There is tons of flying action on the weekend before (my favorite part) but a lot of folks leave on Thursday, you really start to see the field thin out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbelc View Post
    First how do you find out about things like the type mass arrivals, Bonanzas etc? Saw some photos of hot air balloons from last year, how do you find out if/when they will be inflated? Is timings etc well advertised?
    https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-a...dule-of-events

The schedule on the EAA website is quite good. You do have to play around with the filters to get what you really want as there are so many events. Also, daily they publish a newspaper you can pick up all over the grounds with late changes in it.

Also, I'd plan to visit the museum on which ever day the weather looks less good. Otherwise you are missing airplanes flying!

Not sure what you expect to see with the mass arrivals as they are pretty boring. It is the less regimented regular arrivals the rest of the time on Saturday and Sunday that can get exciting!

Hi - this is also my first visit and I too am from the UK.

Our plan is to drive up from OHare, maybe call in to Fisk to see the guys in pink, before staying in Port Washington (the nearest reasonably priced hotel we could find).

The plan is then to travel to/from Osh on Monday and Tuesday. Given the previous comments, should we pick up our wristbands on Sunday pm (the tickets are paid for), or do we turn up on the Monday morning? What types of queues are we likley to see if we do the latter?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G-ASHX View Post
    Hi - this is also my first visit and I too am from the UK.

Our plan is to drive up from OHare, maybe call in to Fisk to see the guys in pink, before staying in Port Washington (the nearest reasonably priced hotel we could find).

The plan is then to travel to/from Osh on Monday and Tuesday. Given the previous comments, should we pick up our wristbands on Sunday pm (the tickets are paid for), or do we turn up on the Monday morning? What types of queues are we likley to see if we do the latter?

Many thanks
    I think you’ll be OK just getting them Monday morning. The queues from what I’ve seen aren’t that bad. Having said that, if you’re bored on Sunday, nothing wrong with getting them then assuming they are open— don’t know what their hours are. The grounds will be open on Sunday so you can walk around if you like, just none of the vendors will be open but still lots to see.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 05-19-2023 at 03:50 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!