Thread: O-200 engine on Champ

O-200 engine on Champ

I'm going to install an O-200 on my 7CCM Champ using the Wagner STC. I've gotten word through a source that the standard 4-585 (short) and the 4-884 (long) mounts are unsuitable for the O-200 when using the standard O-200 rubber bushing (530740) / seat / washer mounts. The weak area of the mounts being the two upper single tube mount points that will tend to flex with the vibrations from the softer Lord mount system. Has anyone heard of this problem ? The 64-65 model 7ECAs used a beefed up mount, 4-1207. Anyone have info on the later model 7EC LSA mount ?

The Buzz Wagner STC, that I am using, suggests using the 4-1207 mount or constructing your own mount from drawings supplied in STC. The DIY mount drawings look like a copy of the original 4-585. No supports at the upper two mount points. With the STC supplied drawing, I know that technically, I would be legal with either the 4-585 or 4-884 and or the 4-1207. I would prefer to use a 4-1207 mount or modify my 4-884 mount to an equivalent. Whadda ya think ??

When installing an O-200 in my 7AC, I saw no problems in using the standard engine mount. Mind you, I did not use the Lord mounts, since they move the engine forward far enough to require a modification to the cowling. Instead, I bought a set of conical inserts off of Ebay and used them with the standard rubber bushings. It all turned out just fine and works like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    When installing an O-200 in my 7AC, I saw no problems in using the standard engine mount. Mind you, I did not use the Lord mounts, since they move the engine forward far enough to require a modification to the cowling. Instead, I bought a set of conical inserts off of Ebay and used them with the standard rubber bushings. It all turned out just fine and works like it should.
    Installing the conical inserts and using the cone rubber mounts was the suggestion from the person that I had originally received the problem info. And ... since I will be using the 4-884 "long mount" on my project, I will be extending my cowl anyway. So far no luck with Aerospace Welders on the proposal to modify my 4-884 mount to a 4-1207. I was assuming AWI had the fixture for the 4-884 mount, as their website says they repair 4-884s. The AWI mount manager was going to check if they had the fixture. Haven't heard back in a week. If they could do the modification, I would install it as an "owner produced" part.
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 04-04-2023 at 01:38 PM.