Thread: Experimental Exhibition conversion from UL

Experimental Exhibition conversion from UL

I am very interested in the MiroCopter ultralight helicopter, BUT I would prefer to add a few things, including more fuel, a better seat, a cargo hook (for demonstration only), ADS-B out/tansponder, strobe light, etc. I'm light enough that it would still be well under MGW. I would prefer to register it as Experimental Exhibition, but have no clue as to what would be involved.

What type of credentials will be required - FAA, DER, IA, or ? It looks simple enough, fill out the 8130-6, attach a statement of operating limitations, perhaps some photographs, available specifications, and carry it to the FSDO.

I don't believe what I just wrote, so I'm asking. Thanks!

Ernie

Not being too familiar with the Mirocopter (and not enlightened even after checking their web page), there are a couple of simple issues to wonder about.

Are you buying a ready-to-fly aircraft, or a kit? If a kit, you might try running the FAA's 51% Rule checklist against it, and talk to your DAR. It might qualify as Experimental Amateur-Built (presuming you're doing to the work for education or recreation).

If a ready to fly vehicle, you might have a chance as Experimental Exhibition, but of course it's more limiting than E-AB. You'll have to renew it every year, for instance.

Don't think any actual engineering/A&P/IA work would be necessary. As it's a single-seat vehicle, the FAA might not care that much.

Ron Wanttaja

The Mirocopter web site appears to assert that the ship is sold fully assembled as a 14 CFR Part 107 Ultralight vehicle. To turn it into an E-Ex aircraft you will have to engage the services of a DAR, apply for an N-Number, registration, and all of the other paperwork required to create an experimental aircraft in the US. I have never seen the operating limitations for an experimental helicopter but some digging into the FAA's Dynamic Regulator System should get you that info. There are a lot of misunderstandings about E-Ex. The operating limitations are not that different from E-AB. You have to send your local FSDO an e-mail every January reporting that you are still going to be flying in the coming year, but that is the only real difference from operating an E-AB aircraf and that is easy. I own an E-Ex aircraft and I have not run into any issues with paperwork or flying wherever I want.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    The Mirocopter web site appears to assert that the ship is sold fully assembled as a 14 CFR Part 107 Ultralight vehicle.
    Yeah, but did see one mention that a kit version was available. That's why I expressed a bit of confusion above. May have just been a reference to post-shipping assembly, or a third-party site.

Ron Wanttaja

It arrives crated and you have to attach the rotor blades. Doesn't sound like 50%. I imagine, I will fly it UL, visit the FSDO and go from there. Thanks for the responses.

Ernie

Supposed to arrive next week.

After talking to a friendly DAR with helicopter knowledge and experience he suggested certifying R&D while unmodified so that I can fly it while making changes. Then when all is settled and tested, document and apply for EE. That's my plan. N number reserved, will wait until after first hover to start. Want to make sure it's worth the trouble.