Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Guy without IA signing off annual busted

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    5

    Guy without IA signing off annual busted


  2. #2
    Auburntsts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    544
    Hmmm. Interesting case.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5
    While tragic this will only get worse, the FAA has made everything cost prohibitive by granting a bunch of little mini monopolies and making DIY stuff VERY difficult.

    Did this guy sign off his own plane or was he doing this for hire? Big difference, if it was his own plane he would have been better off just not doing an annual as there is no falsification then.

    The A&P/IA is particularly problematic as its quite onerous to get and every owner needs one and there are fewer and fewer IA's around to sign off planes which means prices go up, not everyone flying is a multi millionare.

  4. #4
    melann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    N. Texas, Dallas Area
    Posts
    79
    Since much of the audience on this forum deals with Experimental Aircraft, it might be prudent to mention that IA is not required to sign off the Annual Condition Inspection for most Experimental aircraft.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    Since much of the audience on this forum deals with Experimental Aircraft, it might be prudent to mention that IA is not required to sign off the Annual Condition Inspection for most Experimental aircraft.
    I built mine and received the certificate to take care of it too. Not sure I could stand the cost of owning a certified plane and having someone else maintain it for me. ��

  6. #6
    melann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    N. Texas, Dallas Area
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Andee View Post
    I built mine and received the certificate to take care of it too. Not sure I could stand the cost of owning a certified plane and having someone else maintain it for me. ��
    Clarification: You, or anyone else, may maintain as Experimental Aircraft without the Repairman Certificate. The Repairman Certificate allows you to perform and sign off the annual condition inspection.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    Clarification: You, or anyone else, may maintain as Experimental Aircraft without the Repairman Certificate. The Repairman Certificate allows you to perform and sign off the annual condition inspection.
    Perhaps I should have clarified that point but glad you did. Yes I do my condition inspections and can still have an A&P put some eyes on it too ...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5
    What do you do about engine and prop work, its like pulling teeth to get things like constant speed prop overhaul manuals, if you subscribe then its thousands a year. I think the same goes for lycoming engines, luckily I was able to get ahold of the lycominb direct drive manaul but the parts seem to be problematic to buy (at least affordably)

    For those that know, how much more difficult is it to get an A&P vs a repairmans cert? I have heard the IA is not to bad as its just a computer test so if your good at tests it much better

  9. #9
    Eric Page's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toledo, WA
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by akmetal View Post
    For those that know, how much more difficult is it to get an A&P vs a repairmans cert?
    https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/experience
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •