Thread: De Havilland DH-4 Wheels (I Think). When Made?

De Havilland DH-4 Wheels (I Think). When Made?

I've inherited a pair of airplane wheels I'm pretty confident are from a De Havilland DH-4. Are there any stamps or marks on the tires that can help determine when Goodyear made them?

The family lore is that these wheels were picked up by a relative some time in the 1920's. They were used on a hand cart around the farm for a couple decades before being put away in a barn. My Dad remembered seeing the wheels when he'd come visit as a kid, and asked for them many years later. Everyone said that the wheels were from a Curtis Jenny, but based on my online research it appears that only the De Havilland DH-4 used 750x125mm tires.

Thanks in advance!
    -Mitch
    Attached Images Attached Images     

They could have come off a Jenny; in the 20s a pilot with a broken wheel might throw on anything he could find. You might ask over on the Aerodrome forum where the WWI experts hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    They could have come off a Jenny; in the 20s a pilot with a broken wheel might throw on anything he could find. You might ask over on the Aerodrome forum where the WWI experts hang out.
    Thanks for bringing the Aerodrome forum to my attention, I'll definitely see what someone there may know.