Thread: Young Eagles Fuel Donation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Young Eagles Fuel Donation

When flying YE at a rally event, if the FBO generously offers to provide fuel for pilots, can we accept w/o being in violation of the "flight for compensation" regulations? I know this issue was petitioned years ago with the FAA (link to Experimental Aircraft Association - Exemption/Rulemaking) but am not clear on the outcome. Thanks -

The answer is that it's loaded with so many asinine restrictions that it's not worth the effort.

One of the straws that broke that camel's back was the pilot couldn't fly an Experimental aircraft during an EAA YE event.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    One of the straws that broke that camel's back was the pilot couldn't fly an Experimental aircraft during an EAA YE event.
    On Page
    https://www.eaa.org/eaa/youth/free-y...lunteer-pilots

It says:
    Can I fly my licensed experimental aircraft?
    Yes. All aircraft are eligible provided they are properly licensed and flown in accordance with appropriate FARs (or your country’s equivalent) and the Young Eagles program guidelines.

If an FBO can't provide fuel for Young Eagles flights, how is it possible for Phillips 66 to provide the $1 / gallon fuel rebate for these flights? Does paying, and then receiving a refund provide a level of separation?

My reply was in response to the fuel reimbursement proposal about 10 years ago. The FAA response was Certificated planes only after an onerous application process and Experimentals need not apply, But I still fly my RV at every YE event hosted by my Chapter on my dime.
    Last edited by steve; 02-11-2023 at 08:20 PM.