Thread: Rate of climb analysis for a fixed pitch propeller powered aircraft

Rate of climb analysis for a fixed pitch propeller powered aircraft

I did a spreadsheet(.XLSX) of the Snorri Gudmundsson book 'GA aircraft design' on chapter 18 'Performance Climb'. It is quite self
    explainatory, but I didn't used column Advance Ratio for the propeller efficiency (that is a cubic polynomial of the ratio for the propeller
    of the Cirrus SR22 in the book) .
    I inferred efficiency of a fixed pitch propeller at 0.75 for cruise speed at 65% power and 0.7 at max speed, that is a question
    of propeller choice explained in the book.

Max ROC speed is at 55 KCAS for my example (A 109sqft aircraft with 950lbs MTOW and a 62BHP VW conversion).

I hope it can help you to choose a powerplant for your design. My interest in that spreadsheet was air density effects with
    altitude and temperature on rate of climb, that is always interesting to know about a specific configuration (aircraft and
    powerplant choice).
    I can answer question about the spreadsheet.

File :
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JLS; 02-02-2023 at 02:56 PM.

It looks useful, thanks for sharing it!

Thanks for your answer Don;

For those who prefer GoogleSheets, here is a link on my GoogleDrive to share it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...f=true&sd=true

GoogleSheet is free with a Google account, I don't know if MS Office 365 Excel online is free to subscribe and work with.

Thank you for posting this spreadsheet. I have been thinking about doing some prop testing on a ground-adjustable prop, and this is likely to be of significant help.