Thread: ATP SE add-on / Chicago

ATP SE add-on / Chicago

Hi All,
    I would like to add ASEL privileges to my FAA ATP (already AMEL, no FAA single engine privileges at all, except foreign-based PPL).
    Around 2300 hrs of single engine experience with EASA license.
    Any flight school recommendation around Chicago ?

Thanks !

I understand the appeal of having a rare certificate, but I'm curious why you want an ATP ASEL. As far as I know, there are zero operations anywhere using single engine aircraft that require it.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

It's just that I don't have any Commercial ASEL privileges either ; and as far as I understand, the ATP ASEL checkride is a lot more easier (mainly an IFR check) than the Commercial one (energy management, etc.). Maybe I'm wrong ?

Could be; I went the traditional route and have Comm-SEL and ATP-MEL. The FAA practical test standards should have the answer.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

"Maybe I'm wrong ?"

Yes, the US Comm test is easy if you have any aptitude. A written exam on stuff you should already know, and a flight test that has you demonstrate that you can fly with precision. No reason not to do it.

Best of luck,

Wes

Adding SEL to MEL ATP

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    "Maybe I'm wrong ?"

Yes, the US Comm test is easy if you have any aptitude. A written exam on stuff you should already know, and a flight test that has you demonstrate that you can fly with precision. No reason not to do it.

Best of luck,

Wes
    There’s no knowledge test to add SEL to the ATP MEL.
    And for someone who is current and proficient on instrument flying, it’s easier than getting proficient in the commercial SEL test tasks.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 01-24-2023 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Tried to fix broken quote code.