Thread: Thinking about building a Fisher Horizon 2

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thinking about building a Fisher Horizon 2

Hi, I have searched, but didnt see much on Fishers. I have a friend who had a Horizon 2, but I only saw it once from across the field before he sold it. Then I sat in a Horizon 1 before the owner moved across country. I'm 6'-4", 215 lbs. I hit my head in the Horizon 1, but FFP says the Horizon 2 will accommodate a pilot much larger than me. Has anyone here built a Fisher? I've been flying a 182 mostly for a little over 5 years but I have been wanting to build a plane for some time. I actually bought some 701 plans from a man I know, but after setting in one, I dont think that's going to work for me, so I'm probably going to sell those. The only other kit I'm interested in is a Chinook, but I've never seen one.

I may want to fly off of my farm in the future and think either of these could do that. I want to be able to take one of the children flying, so 2 seats is important. I've got a 182, which is more for travel, so this I want to be low-slow and somewhat short field, although we are at about 175' MSL here so not landing on mountaintops or anything. I do like that the fisher is supposed to be rated for some acrobatics, although I'd for sure need some training before I tried any of that.

If anyone knows of a Horizon 2 near east GA, I'd love to go up in one or at least sit in one. I have ridden back seat in a cub, but I can't fit front seat in a citabria.

Also, I think I like the idea of building with wood, but I'm not sold on it. I am a mechanical engineer, but not a craftsman. I am willing to learn however.

I got a quote a year ago for a horizon 2 and he quoted an aeromomentum engine. I think I'd prefer a used O-200A or other direct drive. Maybe a Jabriu or Rotax, but I'm not sold on the auto conversions.
    Last edited by WBAEngineer; 01-12-2023 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling