Thread: LSA to Trainer jet

LSA to Trainer jet

So ultimately I'm wanting to fly in something like a L-29 or L-39. The requirements for some training on one is 1,000 hours plus 500 hours PIC. What would be the most cost efficient route?

I'm thinking that if I can get a sport pilot certificate I can start logging some hours in my own plane. So for around $110,000 I could pick up a $65,000 LSA and then around $45,000 in fuel. Knock out my hours grab a PPL after that I'll try and get 5-10 hours in a week. That should put me at around 1,000 flight hours and 950~ PIC hours correct? This is assuming a $30/hr fuel cost.

Just the hours alone don't mean a lot. The type of flying during those x# of hours means a great deal. If you spend those 1,000 hours flying a Cub or some typical LSA then you won't be well prepared for jumping to a jet, where everything happens in a big hurry, and you're used to having all the time in the world (figuratively, of course) to get things done. If you have a moderate amount of Bonanza (for example) time, then you are a little better prepared, but still aren't where you really need to be, but might have a chance to learn with enough money spent on training.

Larger, faster aircraft will help your preparation further, of course.

You might find it educational to fly the L-39 Albatross for FSX by Lotus Simulations which, supposedly, behaves much as the real thing (I've never been in the real thing), but it's interesting that the FSX model seems drastically underpowered on takeoff and awkward coming down final, with behavior somewhat similar to what I've read about early jet fighters and trainers needing careful handling at low speeds and altitudes, which puts one heck of a workload on the pilot in those regimes.

Another caution is that your cost estimates above (purchase plus fuel) ignore many other expenses, including maintenance, insurance and storage fees (tie down, hangar, etc.). My final caution is to ask how much you've checked into the costs of "some training" in an L-39, since a very short amount of time in one could cost a fair chunk of what you spent to get your license in the first place, since they're several thousand dollars an hour to rent, if you can find one available for dual.

This link will give a hint of the operating costs a dozen years ago (much higher now): https://combatace.com/forums/topic/6...lbatros-costs/

Larry N.

That's an awesome goal! Assuming your cost assumptions and math are correct, then yes, that would get you the time you want. I don't want to pour cold water on the idea, but a few things come to mind...

If you fly 1,000 hours in an LSA then step into a high performance jet, you'll probably find yourself gasping for breath. There's a lot more to pilot experience than logged hours, and the differences in performance, systems complexity, operating rules, etc. between an LSA and an L-29/-39 are very significant.

Here are some additional steps that I would undertake if I were in your shoes:

• Get your PPL in an LSA and fly with a purpose (practice something specific on every flight) for a couple hundred hours.
    • Get a complex aircraft endorsement and gain experience with faster, more advanced aircraft.
    • Take an upset recognition and recovery course.
    • Go to a formation flying clinic to hone your precision flying skills.
    • Get an instrument rating to further enhance flying precision and confidence with flight rules and ATC.

Finally, I would contact each of the L-29/-39 training operations and ask them what experience they'd like to see in a student, or what experience their most successful students have in common.

Just my 2¢.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Eric makes some additional very good points, especially the upset & recovery course, the formation flying and the instrument rating (you'll learn a LOT about ALL flying techniques and increase your precision, badly needed in a jet)

Larry N.

Yea this would atleast be 3 years down the road before I'd even get in the seat of one.

Training looks to be around $10,000 for the L-29

Hanger space looks around $750 month here in St Louis.

I'm currently simulating a C-101EB. You definitely feel the chop in those things. I figure it's a fairly close approximation. I'll look into FSX simulation of the L-39.

Yea after I get a few hundred hours in a lsa I'll look into renting some better planes to learn in.

I'll definitely look into those courses.

Inside simulators I'm fairly good at handling the plane. Obviously this isn't something you would do in real life but that's why we play Sims right? https://i.imgur.com/tk3BUWQ.mp4